I Am Not A Fan Of Valentine's Day

I Am Not A Fan Of Valentine's Day

Love should not be contained within a single day.

30

Some say that love is what makes the world go round. It has the power to change a person's point of view in an instant. Love is also one of the only things that every person can agree on enjoying in their own way. While Valentine's Day is supposed to commemorate people's love for one another, I find that a single day cannot celebrate something as vast, insane, and wonderful like caring for someone.

Now I know a lot of people who are anti-Valentine's seem to be pretty bitter, but that is part of the problem. For a lot of people on Valentine's, they assume that being single reflects their failure as a person just because they don't have a significant other to spend it with. I find this to be the most ridiculous concept because love is not only defined by romantic conquests. Love is defined by family, friends, and most importantly, yourself, as an individual.

Another bothersome thing I notice about this holiday is that people sometimes overthink what the day 'should' consist of. Some get annoyed if there are no flowers or special dinner plans, and the reasons for celebration can sometimes get lost in those superficial ideas.

Love does not always mean stuffed animals and heart-shaped candy. Love is asking someone if they're okay, sometimes even double, triple checking to the point where you annoy them because you care. Love is remembering little details people tell you, like a favorite movie or a funny story they repeat at social events. Love is listening even when you cannot understand. Love is learning with open eyes, open mind, and of course, an open heart.

I am not saying Valentine's Day should be protested by any means. I mean I love buying chocolates as much as the next gal. I just don't think people should overthink the precise details of how they choose to spend their day, and instead focus on the people that matter to them, not just on February 14th, but every day of the year.