10 Signs You Are Not Ready To Be A Dog Owner

Just because you want a dog, doesn't mean you're ready for a dog.

43

For most college students, having a dog of their own is like having a piece of home with them, if they grew up around dogs or caring for other's pets. College students adopt or rescue dogs because of the desire to have some comfort or something to care for. Most college students will abandon or take their dogs to shelters at the end of the school year because of their new housing or the cost of caring for an animal.

If you moved from your home with your dog, you may see it as too much responsibility and take your pet home after the semester. Chances are, you aren't ready to have a dog of your own, and here are 10 signs that you aren't ready yet.

1. You don't always spend the night at home.

If you find yourself spending the night at friend's houses or with a significant other, not coming home often and being out all day, having a dog of your own may not be the best choice for you right now.

2. You're a frequent traveler.

Similar to spending the night at someone else's place, if you like to travel often, having your own dog can be difficult. For those people who go back home every weekend or travel out of state often, being a dog owner may hinder the traveling. You either have to take the dog with you, find someone to dog sit, or find a place that offers boarding for dogs.

3. You've let house plants die.

You've got numerous dead plants lying around your home. You forget to water them, you leave them in the dark without sun, or you simply don't remember they exist - that may be a big sign that having a dog is not right for you.

4. The smell of dog poop is overwhelming for you.

Sure, crap is crap. But if you can't get used to picking up after your dog every time they need to go, you probably shouldn't own a dog. And if the dog relieves himself/herself in the home, you need to be quick to clean it and understand that things like that happen.

5. You're allergic to dogs.

Obviously, the main reason you shouldn't own a dog is if you're allergic. There's no point in popping Benadryl every time you want to pet your dog, even if it is hypoallergenic.

6. You lose interest in things easily.

As dogs get older, they may lose their puppy energy. If you're easily bored or lose interest in things, being a dog owner is not for you. Dogs require constant attention, love, and care. A dog owner loves their dog no matter what.

7. You don't have the money to afford a dog.

Vaccinations, pet food, obedience training- all of that costs money. Owning a dog is expensive and there's no way around it. You'll spend about $1,200 on your first year of being a dog owner, not including the extra cost to have a dog in an apartment or housing complex.

8. Taking a dog out for the day is a challenge for you.

If you're a social butterfly and spend most of your weekends out and about, enjoying long brunches or taking a leisurely stroll through the stores, you'll find that most people do that with their dogs. However, it takes a lot of effort to take a dog out that isn't used to a new environment. You can kiss your relaxing brunch goodbye if your dog won't sit still or stop begging for food.

9. You're not a responsible person.

Face it - your friends say you're the least responsible out of the group. You're forgetful, lazy, and a procrastinator. Dogs require owners who are responsible. If you go home for the holidays and are okay with leaving your dog behind, you are irresponsible and should not be a dog owner.

10. Your current housing does not permit dogs.

If you have to hide your dog when the front office staff comes to do inspections, you should not have a dog. If you have to keep the dog at a friend's house because you can't have dogs at your place, you should not have a dog. Only own a dog if you can care for them comfortably in your own home.