Nostalgia Lane: "The Iron Giant"

Nostalgia Lane: "The Iron Giant"

One of the best animated films, for certain.

65
Nostalgia Lane: "The Iron Giant"
Collider

When I was five years old, I saw a film that would undoubtedly change my life. The Iron Giant came on Cartoon Network one summer and that was probably the first movie I ever remember loving. It’s a film that I watched religiously every summer for most of my childhood, and when I revisit it as an adult I find it still just as good as I remember it. The animation, themes, and dialogue overall in this movie is what makes this a memorable and impactful viewing experience.

The film centers around Hogarth Hughes, a nine-year-old boy growing up in a small town in Maine during The Cold War. He’s left by himself frequently as his single-parent mother works a j job at a diner and he doesn’t have any friends at school. One night, he ventures in the woods and finds a giant alien robot that’s fallen from space, and saves him. Hogarth and the robot become friends; The Giant, having no memory, relies on Hogarth to essentially stay hidden from the public and survive. They bond and become friends, and Hogarth’s world opens up since he’s no longer alone. A government investigator named Kent Mansley suspects Hogarth has a connection to the “UFO” that he got information on, and suspects it’s a soviet machine meant to destroy everyone. Hogarth has to protect The Giant, and along the way the robot learns about humanity and morality.

The moment that always stuck out to me as a child was the scene where The Giant encounters a deer. He’s scared of hurting it, but makes a connection to the deer. Right when he’s about to pet the deer, a hunter kills it, causing The Giant to watch his new friend die. It’s heartbreaking to watch The Giant not understand why the deer won’t move, only to have Hogarth explain it’s just what death is. This is deep and introspective for a child, but knowing that Hogarth had lost his dad, it gives the viewer insight to Hogarth’s maturity. He’s listened to this talk about loss and death, and at an age where it’s hard to comprehend that loss, he’s able to comfort the giant by explaining to him “souls never die.” Hogarth looks to the stars, and the moment is so genuine and comforting that it makes for probably one of the most meaningful scenes in an animated film I’ve ever seen.

The film also adds subtle bits about Hogarth’s life that the audience doesn’t always pick up on. In a scene where he makes friends with the scrap metal artist and junkyard owner, Dean, he’s given coffee and starts talking fast and excitedly. At first it’s easy to just tune it out and watch the film, but listening closely you can really hear Hogarth’s anxiety and frustration; his mom made him skip a grade and he gets bullied for being younger, which is why he has no friends. He continues to say he doesn’t think he’s smart or a prodigy, but he just does the homework. What’s revealed is the anxiety of a young boy, who just wants to be accepted among his peers. His problems run deeper than hiding a giant metal robot; his problems take root in loneliness and boredom, which are problems The Giant’s friendship solves.

The film also tackles the harm of paranoia, which is impactful given the film takes place in the McCarthy Era and Cold War. The villain is a figure of authority, a part of our government whose supposed to protect the country. He lashes out with anger and tries everything he can to stalk and capture The Giant, and goes to great lengths to keep Hogarth “safe.” His madness knows no bounds, particularly in the climax of the movie when he launches a nuclear weapon headed straight for the town. The paranoia and fear of the unknown ultimately led to the possible doomsday of a town of innocent people. If it weren’t for The Giant’s heroism, everyone would have died at the hands of higher authority.

All in all, this film left an emotional impact on me that led me to want to become a filmmaker. I remember the movie fondly and really love revisiting it again every couple of months or so to relive that nostalgia. The director, Brad Bird, really knows how to create a story that can resonate with an audience, and the film will always stick out in my mind as one of the best animated films I’ve ever seen.