Clubs You Need to Join in College

If You're An NC State Student, CRU Is The Club You Need To Join

At NC State, there are so many student organizations available but the one that has impacted me the most is CRU.

501
Samm Ellingson

At NC State, there are so many student organizations available but the one that has impacted me the most is CRU. CRU is a campus ministry that was founded in 1951 in California and has since spread to campuses across the nation and globe. CRU has an especially large presence on State's campus and while everyone might not know what it is, he or she is likely to have seen someone in a red CRU t-shirt.

CRU is, "a caring community passionate about connecting others to Jesus Christ" and the way we do that is through large group weekly meetings, small group Bible studies, retreats, and events. As soon as you get connected, you have access to other students from all majors, parts of campus, and ages.

I joined CRU reluctantly during freshman year, and it turned out to be the best decision of college. There are so many reasons I am thankful for CRU and how it has impacted my life, but I think these are the ones that best describe all CRU is and has to offer.

1. The authentic community

The number one thing everyone is looking for in college is somewhere to belong. CRU is an open invitation for each and everyone regardless of where you are in your spiritual journey. It provides a connection to others who are similar to you as well as different.

2. Growth

CRU has grown me in every way I can think of: it has pushed me out of my comfort zone in the best way possible and has taught me new things about myself that I could not have learned on my own. College is an ideal time to learn who you want to be and CRU has shown me who God says I am and the new places I can go in the world and within myself.

3. Countless opportunities

If there is something you want to do, there's a way you can do it through CRU. Planning events, attending fun activities, intramural sports, volunteering, spring break trips, summer internships, and even babysitting can all be done through CRU. CRU has given me so many opportunities. I truly cannot imagine what my college career would have looked like without it. I was able to go to Clearwater Beach, Florida and Fort Collins, Colorado with CRU for two of my summers. I spent spring break of freshman year in Destin, Florida and spring break of sophomore year in New York City also with CRU. I have even gotten connected to several families who I babysit for regularly. All because of CRU.

4. Mentorship

CRU has small group Bible studies lead by upperclassmen who truly invest in your life. After freshman year, you have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with your leader or a CRU staff person who care for you. This is one of my favorite things about CRU and one that has been integral in my spiritual and emotional growth.

5. The FUN

CRU is truly SO much fun! Game nights, wiffleball, Fall Retreat, Barn Party, Party at the Park, Skates and Shakes- the list could go on and on. CRU provides so many events that are cheap or free where students can just have fun. There's always something going on to provide a community on campus.

I am forever thankful for CRU and all it has brought to my life. I am taking advantage of every part of CRU for my last year of college and encourage any college student at NC State or anywhere else to join CRU and experience it with me!