The Nontraditional Christmas Playlist

The Nontraditional Christmas Playlist

If you’re sick of Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby this playlist is for you.

28
The Nontraditional Christmas Playlist
https://www.pexels.com

Some people want to enjoy Christmas music but can’t stand the sound of traditional Christmas songs. I’ll admit that after hearing rendition after rendition of "The Christmas Song," it starts to get old. So here’s a list of nontraditional Christmas songs to listen to this holiday season.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy9atlsHaQRLYJk6z_eckLYqurGnrOOAW

1. Cold December Night-Michael Bublé

I’m thoroughly convinced that 50 years from now, Michael Bublés Christmas music will be considered traditional as well. But for now, this album is only a few years old and unlike most of the tracks, this song is an original.

2. I Don’t Wanna Spend Another Christmas Without You- The Ready Set

This song may have a similar title as NSYNC’s Christmas song, but the lyrics and tempo are completely different. Its upbeat sound makes this song both catchy and fun to sing along to.

3. Shake Up Christmas- Train

This song came out a few years ago and it has such a feel good vibe to it. I think the lyrics really make this song shine but the actual music video is adorable too.

4. Fool’s Holiday- All Time Low

A majority of Christmas songs are upbeat and filled with unrealistic aspects, so it’s refreshing to hear a song that’s more realistic. The electric guitar and drums intensifies this track and lets All Time Low's punk/ rock style shine through.

5. His Favorite Christmas Story- Capital Lights

I love this song because it tells a love story that begins on Christmas Eve. And even though the narrative is completely predictable, it’s still cute.

6. West Coast Christmas- Anarbor

This is definitely one of the most nontraditional songs on this playlist. It has a very laid back vibe which makes it sound like the middle of summer rather than Christmas.

7. Winter Dreams (Brandon’s Song)- Kelly Clarkson

This is one of my personal favorite Christmas songs, whether it be traditional or nontraditional. Kelly Clarkson has such an amazing voice and it really shows towards the end of the song.

8. Santa Stole My Girlfriend- The Maine

It’s impossible not to laugh when listening to this track. I mean how many bands have a song where they call Santa a bitch?

9. Ice Dance- Edward Scissorhands Soundtrack

Although this isn’t technically a Christmas song, it has that winter feel to it. The intense shifts and harmonizing voices really make it dramatic yet beautiful.

10. Snow Globe- Matt Wertz

This song reminds me of my childhood because it’s cute and playful. It talks about wanting to live in a snow globe--I don’t know about you, but that thought definitely crossed my mind when I was little.

11. X-mas in Texas- Driver Friendly

The singer’s personality really shines through in this song. It’s also really interesting to see how the band created an original song but also added aspects from the traditional Christmas song Do They Know It’s Christmas.

12. New York Christmas- Rob Thomas

It’s hard to capture the feeling of New York during Christmastime, but this song does it perfectly. The lyrics are a great representation of what the holiday season is all about.

13. This Winter- The Workday Release

This delicate song is so simple and relaxing. It's one of those Christmas songs you can listen to over and over without getting sick of it.

14. Christmas Lights- Yellowcard

This song was originally performed by Coldplay, but I just love the version by Yellowcard. The tempo completely shifts halfway through the song and completely transforms it into something more passionate.

15. 30 Days- Nevershoutnever

There is something so relaxing about the vocals in this song. It sounds like it is almost sung in a whisper which really gives that delicate Christmas feeling.

16. Merry Christmas Kiss My Ass- All Time Low

Another bold Christmas song. All Time Low is known for their crazy antics, so it doesn’t surprise me that they made a song with this ever so festive title.

17. Ho Ho Hopefully- The Maine

A gentler song by The Maine, this acoustic version is soft and beautiful. John O’Callaghan’s voice is so raw, but the background instruments make it tender.

18. The Only Thing That Glistens- For the Foxes

This song is so different for many reasons. First, the lead singer’s voice is unlike any other. Next, the beat is hard to describe; it’s slow yet upbeat. I think it’s the combination of instruments in the background but whatever the case may be, it’s a unique song.

19. Christmas Just Ain’t Christmas (Without You)- Matt Wertz

Matt Wertz has such a beautiful voice and this song reflects that. It is one of the most upbeat tracks on this playlist but I love the way it ends sounding so gentle and pure.

20. New Year- Parachute

What better way to end a Christmas playlist than with a song about New Year's? I love the fact that it is ridiculously upbeat and easy to sing along to.