It's Time To Use The 'F' Word

It's Time To Use The 'F' Word

No, not that one.

14
It's Time To Use The 'F' Word
Unsplash

Feminism.

Feminism isn't a new concept, which I'm sure you all are aware of. However, The Guerrilla Girls are fighting this issue at full speed. These gorilla masked activists fight injustices that are normally too common for others to speak out against (unfortunately). This group of anonymous women go around New York and the rest of the world raising awareness and fighting sexism in the art world by going by names of past women artists such as Fridah Khalo. They believe that minorities should not be ignored or pushed to the side and they believe that it's time that women get the respect that we actually deserve.

For those of you who aren't totally up to date with the drama of the art and media world (don't worry, I'm not terribly current in that field either), let me inform you.

Of 590 major exhibitions by nearly 70 institutions in the U.S. from 2007-2013, only 27 percent were devoted to women artists.

Less than five percent of the artists in the Modern Art section of New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art are women, but 85 percent of the nudes are women.

Women directed only nine percent of the top 250 films of 2015.

Only one woman has ever won an Oscar for directing.

four have ever even been nominated.

Six percent of acting awards and five percent of writing and directing awards have gone to people of color in 86 years.

The Guerrilla Girls run around the country pasting posters, projecting facts on the sides of buildings, and as Fridah Khalo (one of the founding members of this activist group) says, "complaining creatively and professionally."

Most museums say they own tons of artwork from numerous woman artists... what they don't tell you is that they keep them in the basement.

These ladies and their work is something that everybody should be aware of and that everybody should support.

Gorillas may be scary, but feminism isn't. Use the F word.