Odd Pets
Nature Animals

Non-Traditional Pets Make The Best Pets

Don't get me wrong, cats and dogs run the world, but there are other animals looking for love too.

428
Non-Traditional Pets Make The Best Pets
Rudolf Jakkel

Have you ever walked through the pet store and fallen in love with the family of mice cuddled up together? Or heard the sweet chirps of the parakeets as they hop around? Or even had the chance to rescue and foster an animal like a raccoon?

If you have, then you already know how lucky you are.

There are so many different kinds of animals that are looking for good, loving homes aside from a cat or a dog. But often times these pets are overlooked for being too high maintenance, expensive, or "freaky". Mice, birds, reptiles, and even the occasional squirrel all fall into this void. So lets break it down step my step and dispel some of these common misconceptions. Then you can understand why non traditional pets make some of the best pets in the world.

This animal is too high maintenance.

All animals have needs. And unfortunate they are unable to vocalize them directly to us, so most of the time we interpret what they are asking us for. One meow may mean food, while another may mean pets. With less common pets like mice, it is essentially the same process, it is just a matter of redirecting your attention. Both mice and cats need food. Both mice and cats have food that typically goes in a bowl, only mice squeak just a bit quieter then a cat might meow. In the end ,both of these pets have the same needs, and understanding the needs of your pet is the first step in being a successful pet owner.

This animal is too expensive.

Building off what animals need, certain animals may have needs that require extra financial attention. A perfect example of this is reptiles and heat lamps! Some types pf reptiles require a warmer internal tank temperature, and to reach the perfect temp. many will invest in a sun or heat lamp! The overall cost of running the lamp is not that high in the long run, but the extra cost may be a factor in initially avoiding adopting a lovable leopard gecko or other reptile! In the end you can put a price on the material goods, but you can't put a price on the love of an animal. That is something truly priceless.

This animal is weird looking.

Animals come in all different shapes and sizes and they have different qualities that make them special. Most times these qualities are shown in their physical appearance. Scaly skin, fur, big eyes, and claws are just a few examples of these traits. Often times before adopting a pet, one will take in its "cuteness". This process shouldn't be so superficial. Adopting an animal should be about the relationship you feel like you can have with it, almost like a first date. You wouldn't want to adopt a cute cat who prefers to fly solo and put him in an environment with three other social cats, would you? No- because it would stress him out and have a health backlash. When you first meet an animal, put aside how adorable they may or may not be and imagine yourself taking care of them. Once you fall in love with an animal, it is hard to fall out and you will love them unconditionally. It all goes back to the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". When you truly love an animal, they will become cute to you. You will find those traits and qualities endearing, even it they happen to be a wild raccoon you rescued.

Non traditional pets bring forward a new challenge and open our eyes to the beauty of life.

For most of my life, I was a cat and dog kind of gal. It wasn't until my mother rescued an injured field mouse did I truly begin to see that there are so many other pets who need good homes that are not always thought about. My eyes were opened to a whole new beautiful world. Non traditional pets push us to remember the needs of lives other then our own, and show us that all animals are capable of showing love and compassion. Whether its your cat curling up next to you or a pet mouse squeaking as you walk past their cage.I hope from this article you feel just a bit more inclined to put aside the misconceptions about non traditional pets and go and adopt one for yourself. From big pets, to small ones, to scary ones (snakes!), all of them are looking for a loving place to call home.