5 Non Marvel Movies To Watch Out For This Summer

5 Non-Marvel Movies To Watch Out For This Summer

There are still many exciting films coming out after "Endgame".

25
https://www.countryliving.com/life/entertainment/g25386417/best-kids-movies-2019/
Country Living

Not a superhero fan? Well, you're in luck. This year is bringing some of the biggest blockbusters to the screen yet. Sequels, reboots, and biopics have shown that they are not going anywhere anytime soon, but original films have been showing a resurgence in recent years as well. The variety of films that Hollywood releases are becoming more and more diverse. Genies, aliens, musicians, and CGI animals galore.

5. "Men in Black: International"

After seven years of lying dormant, one of Hollywood's weirdest yet successful franchises is back. Rather than a prequel or reboot, "Men in Black: International" will act as a sequel/spin-off to the previous three films. With a new set of stars in Chris Hemsworth ("Avengers", "Cabin in the Woods") and Tessa Thompson ("Thor Ragnarok", "Creed"), along with a new director F. Gary Gray ("Straight Outta Compton", "The Italian Job"), the "Men in Black" series looks to be changing the formula with this new outing.

To boot, the New York setting of the previous trilogy is being dropped in favor of a globe-trotting adventure that further explores the vast "Men in Black" universe. The exclusion of series mainstays Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones will obviously take some getting used to, but the fact that the franchise is now back in action is exciting.

If Hemsworth and Thompson bring the banter and dynamic they had in "Thor Ragnarok", you definitely won't need the neuralyzer for this film.

4. "Rocketman"

In the age of Hollywood biopics, the Elton John centered "Rocketman" is now being added to the ranks. Elton John is one of the most well-known and prolific musicians of all time with numerous hit songs under his belt, so it is unusual to think that he is just getting his own film now. But even though this film will focus on the rise of John, "Rocketman" won't be the typical biopic.

As the tagline of the film suggests, the movie will be a musical fantasy that plays around with reality. Don't be worried that you won't get a sense of the kind of person Elton was, but don't expect a Hollywood version, either. With star Taron Edgerton ("Kingsman: The Secret Service") already pulling off a great performance of "I'm Still Standing" in the animated film "Sing", it seems as if he and Elton John were meant to be.

3. "Aladdin"

The Disney live-action Renaissance continues with "Aladdin" directed by Guy Ritchie ("Sherlock Holmes", "Snatch"), the live-action adaptation of the 1992 animated classic. Fans should not want the same things they got in the animated version, but instead a new take.

"Aladdin" is one of Disney's most beloved films that has a lot of potentials to be realized in live action. Will Smith taking on the role that the late great Robin Williams made his own in the 1992 film is definitely something to get people excited but could also be too jarring for some fans.

The hope is that Disney will be able to deliver a film that would make everyone, including Robin Williams, proud. Will Smith in blue singing "Friend Like Me" is enough to warrant butts in seats, as terrifying as that may seem at first glance.

2. "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood"

The much anticipated ninth film by legendary director Quentin Tarantino arrives this summer entitled "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". The film will be a 1960s period piece centered on the infamous Manson Family Murders. Leonardo Dicaprio and Brad Pitt (who have never shared the screen with one another) lead the film, with Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, Dakota Fanning, Kurt Russell, Timothy Olyphant, and many other familiar faces apart of this master class.

There is a sense that the film will touch on heavy topics, but as evidenced from the first trailer, there will still be that trademark Tarantino quirkiness to the film as a whole. This film not only has one of the best casts ever assembled but one of Hollywood's best directors at the helm. What's not to love?

1. "The Lion King"

Arguably, Disney's most acclaimed animated film of all time is getting the live action treatment alongside "Aladdin". Coming off of his previous Disney live-action success with "The Jungle Book", director Jon Favreau ("Elf", "Iron Man") is taking another stab at yet another Disney classic.

Disney is appropriately not pulling any stops when it comes to "Lion King", either, with a large variety of celebrity names such as Donald Glover, Beyonce, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, James Earl Jones (reprising his role as Mufasa), and many others attached to the film.

If you are a fan of animated Disney classics being turned into live action films, then this year is for you. Like "Aladdin", anyone not living under Pride Rock knows the story, but with the names of today, voicing the characters and seeing all of their favorite moments and songs with the voice talents of Childish Gambino and Beyonce is a hard prospect to pass up.

As much as I love superhero films, it is sometimes easy to forget about the other great offerings that Hollywood is giving us. Many worlds and characters to become invested in or become antiquated with once again. It is going to be a long summer and one that will get the family off the beaches and into cinemas.

Some may call that wrong, but it is a great time to be a movie fan.