13 Facts About New Orleans You Didn't Know

Think you really know New Orleans? Let's find out!

275

1. New Orleans is not all below sea level

Despite what people think, only parts of New Orleans are below sea level. On average New Orleans is 6 feet below sea level, but does go up to 20 feet above sea level in Uptown New Orleans.

2. Each Seat in the Super Dome is a different color than the one next to it

This makes it look as if the Superdome is always full, even if it isn't.

3. The Uptown and LGD street grid follows old plantation border lines

Hence why driving can get confusing.

4. Louisiana is the only state that does not have counties

Instead, Louisiana has Parishes.

5. Mardi Gras in the United States was not first Celebrated in New Orleans

This may come as a shock since New Orleans is now widely known for their Mardi Gras celebration. But the first Mardi Gras celebrated in the U.S. was in Mobile, Alabama in 1703.

6. Craps and Poker were invented in New Orleans

7. New Orleans is the birthplace of Jazz

8. The New Orleans airport is the only airport in the U.S. named after a musician

While most airports are named after politicians, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is named after the influential Jazz figure (who was born in New Orleans), Louis Armstrong.

9. More than 500,000 king cakes are sold in New Orleans between January 6 and Fat Tuesday

And that is only in New Orleans! Approximately an additional 50,000 king cakes are shipped to various locations outside of New Orleans during that time.

10. 152 Licensed Festivals take place in New Orleans

Theoretically meaning New Orleans celebrates an average of two festivals a day. Check out some of these festivals here!

11. The official motto of New Orleans is "Laissez le bon temps rouler!"

Meaning "Let the good times role". A city so great it gets its own motto!

12. "Po-boys" is short for "Poor-boys"

The po boy was created in New Orleans during the transit strike in 1929. The sandwiches were offered to strikers for free of charge and took on the name "poor boys", which was later shortened to "po boy".

13. You don't need to show your breasts to get beads

Though not necessarily a fact, just thought I would share this tidbit for any future visitors.