Yes, Having A 'Straight Pride' Festival Is Illogical, Here's Why

Do you face hardships everyday based solely on the person you love or who you identify as? Didn't think so.

306
Two girls smiling at one another as they hold the LGBTQ+ flag behind them

With June being the month for LGBTQ+ pride, my social media timelines consist primarily of two things: those in the community and allies celebrating matched with homophobic and/or transphobic rants about how "the gays" should not receive a full month or that they shouldn't receive special treatment for being "mentally and physically messed up in the head." Specifically, on Facebook and Snapchat, I saw talks of starting a straight pride festival. Their argument? If the LGBTQ+ community could have a festival, why couldn't straight people?

To say I was disgusted was an absolute understatement.

Gay culture is exactly what it sounds like, a culture. It encompasses drag queens, wigs getting metaphorically (sometimes physically) snatched, and so much more. However, with all of the good, the bad must also accompany. It is common within gay culture that they get kicked out of the house after coming out to their family as queer or their family severs all ties with said person, going to lengths to not even attend their weddings. Individuals and couples are terrified to participate in PDA or to even "look" homosexual, transgender, and/or non-binary in fear of being beaten brutally or even killed. Tell me, in what world would a straight person ever have to experience these things?

I came across the perfect explanation of how a "Straight Pride Parade" is illogical in a retweet from Chris Evans, who is best recognized for portraying Captain America/Steve Rogers in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The tweet read this:

@BodyForWife on Twitter.com

Well said, James Fell. *slow claps for James Fell*

Here's another thing: allies are more than welcome to attend an LGBTQ+ pride festival. I have attended in Providence an abundance of times and have never felt like I was unsafe and/or somewhere I did not belong. I have a drawer full of rainbow memorabilia to pull out when I attend in support, I am especially fond of my multicolored tutu. My favorite float is the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" one.

People seem to be "justifying" their want for a straight pride because the LGBTQ+ community gets a whole month to celebrate while veterans, those in the military, and those who died fighting for our country only receive a day. I agree that our military should be appreciated for more than just 24 hours but wouldn't it make sense for you to direct your anger at your country whom has not named a full month and has not provided our soldiers with adequate resources after leaving the service? Additionally, there's a ban on transgender people entering the military.

Discrimination? You betcha.

I am a straight cisgender woman. I have straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender friends, I have family that identifies within the LGBTQ+ community. The whole nine yards. I am straight but I realize that a straight pride is unjustifiable. I am straight but I realize my privilege in that. In the words of James Fell, grateful but not prideful.