4 Reasons Pick-Up Lines Have Gone Stale

4 Reasons Pick-Up Lines Have Gone Stale

Let's be real, the "If you were a fruit, you'd be a fine-apple" line is cute, but not when I've heard it a hundred times.

40

In a world of online dating and rare walk-ups in a bar, the opening line makes or breaks a conversation. Nowadays, most men have moved away from cutesy pick-up lines and have become far more blunt, which could border on disrespectful. But why have these cheesy lines gotten old? Here are a few reasons why:

1. They're overused

It's like beating a dead horse. While the few that are creative and novel can stir a conversation, no one wants to hear a line they've heard a thousand times. A lot of people feel more comfortable with a simple "Hey," or a joke about something from one of your profiles. Get creative if you actually want to start something.

2. Puns aren't for the weak

Puns are an acquired taste for some people. I have a lot of friends who roll their eyes at my attempts to make a pun. I guess it stems from more creativity and fits in with overuse, too. If you accompany some with a GIF or use a situation (if you aren't online), then the pun could land. Some people are really passionate about their hatred for puns, so be careful who you use them on.

3. Think: What does it say about you?

It doesn't say much, actually. It just assures a person that you don't know how to start a conversation. If it's generic and your friends probably told you to use it, then she's probably heard it before. Get innovative! Think about using something from someone's profile like their photos, bio, or music taste. Tinder gives you so much to use! If it's in person, open with a compliment or just introduce yourself. It's a lot more effective than a pick-up line!

4. For some people, they're an instant turn-off

Sometimes, pick-up lines really destroy the feelings that people have for you. If they're interested, you have to keep them hooked with your words. Actually, pick-up lines–as a whole–have become turn-offs and it's kind of disappointing. When I can finish your pick-up line for you, that's a bad sign.

It's unfortunate that the expiration date of pick-up lines has officially come. They used to get people so far toward that number or that date. However, it takes a lot more than just cute punch lines to sweep a person off their feet. It's rare to find pick-up lines that you haven't heard, so they don't have the same novelty that they used to. It's constantly a struggle to capture and maintain someone's attention, but when everyone puts in the effort to make better jokes and make those compliments, the success rate increases!

I wish you luck on your pick-up abstinence. Let me know how actually "breaking the ice" goes!