Why iPhones Are Making Us Anti-Social

Why iPhones Are Making Us Anti-Social

The problems with phones.

6
Why iPhones Are Making Us Anti-Social
Huffington Post

Have you ever gone to dinner and observed couples or families sitting at their table, but instead of laughter or seductive smiles, you see the entire table on their phones. They are sending other people smiley faces and LOL rather than talking about their days with those sitting next to them. One time, I saw a family out to dinner. All of them (parents included) spent the entire time on their phones. Literally, from the moment they sat down, to while they were ordering, and even when they were eating. If you’re like me, you have participated in it, but have since realized that it’s not the best time.

First off, put the damn phone on vibrate, and then either put it in your pocket or place it face down (just in case of emergencies, don’t turn it completely off). Please, just tear your eyes away for enough time to have an actual conversation. I mean, that is how you really connect with a person; through communication. Sure, phones are a great way to communicate, but not when you are with someone else.

I’ve had my share of missing out because I was on my phone. On trips, I have been too busy taking pictures than actually experiencing the moment. I would take a picture of the ocean instead of going in for a swim. Another time, I went to a friend’s house to watch Star Wars, I was so busy texting my boyfriend, that I missed several parts and ended up not exactly knowing what the plot of the movie was.

I believe, that if people keep up with these anti-social behaviors, soon enough, it's going to be just like 1984 and everyone is going to have little radios sending them messages and keeping them from the real world.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that phones and the internet exist. Without them, I wouldn’t be able to stay in touch with my friends and family who are spread across the globe as easily as I can. So, next time you’re out at dinner or hanging out with your friends or family, give them the respect they deserve and put your phone away and live in the moment, because if you don't, you're likely to miss out on something important.