6 Things Vegetarians Are Tired Of Hearing

No, we don't eat salads for every meal.
Vanessa
Vanessa
7

Yes, I am a vegetarian. I have been going strong now for about five months, and I am incredibly happy with my lifestyle. The reason I became a vegetarian was because my school's food was making me sick. I'm not saying it's not good, but personally, it was making me sick. It got to the point where I was getting shots to prevent food poisoning. I've always been a picky eater, so when it came to adjusting to college food, my body didn't respond well. On the other hand, one of the most annoying things I hear whenever I tell people that I'm a vegetarian is that I need meat in order to get protein. In reality, there are other sources of food that contain a high amount of protein. Here are 6 more things vegetarians are tired of hearing:

1. Do you miss eating meat?

If I really “missed” meat, I would be eating it right now, but to be honest, I never really crave it. I feel like growing up I barely ate it so it was never really part of my usual meals. Not eating meat doesn't mean you're not getting all the protein and minerals from food.

2. What can you eat?

I can eat whatever I want, the only thing I'm taking out is actually eating meat. Other than that, I can eat anything including eggs and milk.

3. So can you just take a break?

This is probably my favorite question of them all, and my response is always that it just doesn't work like that. Becoming a vegan or vegetarian for most isn’t just a special diet to lose weight or for a temporary label. We don’t criticize the way that you choose to eat. Anyone is allowed to do whatever they wish.

4. So if you don't eat meat where do you get your protein?

Like I said before, you don't just get protein from meat. There are other foods such as eggs, milk and other dairy products that contain plenty of protein for vegetarians.

5. How can you not eat bacon?

I've never been a really big fan; I actually find it nauseating. The smell really bothers me, but to others it's the best thing ever.

6. So do you eat fish?

Yes I do, but this is known as pescatarian, meaning that I can eat fish. I love sushi-- it's my favorite food and I could never give it up. So yes, I do eat fish.