To The College Student Who Still Doesn’t Know What They Want To Do With Their Lives

You're not alone.

92

You really thought you'd know by now. You left high school thinking college would be the time - the time to find yourself and your true calling. The time that eventually, everything would finally make sense.

For some, that may have really worked out for them – if they were lucky. For others like me, just know you're not alone. As I sit here, a little over a year away from graduation, I'm still completely undecided on how I want to spend the rest of my life. And, I am finally okay with that.

There are so many preconceived notions in our heads – we have to pick the right major, we have to know exactly where we are headed, what career/what job/what industry, we have to get a master's or a law degree. These notions are what drives us to insanity when we still can't answer the question everyone keeps asking, "So, what do you want to do when you graduate?"

But, I am here to tell you that the answer, "I'm still deciding," is completely normal and OKAY.

Listen, you're in school – that's a start right there. You're on a path somewhere, and as cliché, as it sounds, sometimes the journey really is greater than the destination. Your destination in no way needs to be known at this exact point in time.

Just keep this in mind, eventually, you'll figure it out. It may not be until you get that really random job or until you travel to a city you'd never been to. But, you will figure it out.

College is just a small part in your journey to figuring it out. Don't let the stress of being undecided keep you from exploring everything out there. You'll have jobs you love and jobs you hate, you'll meet people with different ideas and passions and eventually, you'll be able to say – "This is what I am going to do for the rest of my life."