How College Can Help You Find Out Who You Are Meant To Be

How College Can Help You Figure Out Who You Are Meant To Be

It's okay to have no idea what you are doing because it turns out that most of us don't, but luckily, there are ways to figure it out.

10
http://blog.aftercollege.com/think-major-holding-back-job-search-read/
After College

As a young adult, it is expected that we are supposed to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives, when in reality, an estimated 20-50 percent of students are undecided, and 75% of students change their major at least once during their collegiate career.

Personally, I started my college career with no real idea of what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, eventually leading me to switch not only my major but also transfer schools. Although I am super into my current major and I plan on sticking with it until I get my degree, I still don't know what I want my profession to be.

However, it is possible to figure out what you want to do while you are in school. Most universities provide multiple different ways for you to get involved in your school to find your strengths and discover what drives you.

Gen Eds. Whether you love them or hate them, gen eds are a requirement, no matter what major you decide on. These are great because they force you to explore different subjects outside of your comfort zone, including cultural courses and art courses. These courses expand the variety in your education, and one class that you never would have taken may help you discover what you want to spend the rest of your life studying!

Career Fairs. Career fairs are held on campuses across the country and allow students to see what the work industry expects and accepts in the real world. Attending these fairs and taking the time to browse various tables allows you to see the expectations of each job and match them up with what your capabilities are.

Clubs and Activities. Be on the lookout for different clubs that spark your interest, as well as events held by clubs that may be outside of your comfort zone. Attending events from different organizations, such as volunteering at a wildlife preservation with the philanthropy club or the painting night with a sorority, allows for new experiences and the chance to try new things.

Conversation. No matter what public university you attend, there are going to be people just like you, and there are going to be people drastically different from you. No matter the case, having a conversation with your peers is opening a door of opportunity. Your fellow classmates are full of their own experiences and stories that may spark your interest in a particular major or subject of study.

No matter how or when you figure out what you want your future to look like, you are not alone. The people who claim they know exactly what they want in life are lying to you and to themselves because those are the same people who end up changing their major and career path completely. I know from personal experience). So, hang in there and get active on campus; you might just find what you're passionate about.