No Diet, Just Healthy

No Diet, Just Healthy

No carbs, fat free, zero sugar.... nah, I'm gonna pass.

83
No Diet, Just Healthy

Throughout my whole life, I have always liked the idea of clean eating and exercising. However, I've been in sports for as long as I can remember so I've never really gone to the gym, and sweets have ALWAYS had my back... you feel me? I swear I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world.

However, over the last couple of months, I have vowed to myself to become a healthier person overall *insert muscle emoji here.*

I'm not dieting.

I've never really felt like I needed to "diet." I have decided that all I'm going to do is cut down (not cut out) on the junk, and listen to what my body needs! I've been loading up on fruits and vegetables, and go figure, now I crave them.

Also, with the sugar and junk food, I haven't completely cut it out, as I don't see the need. If I'm out with friends who want to get pizza or ice cream, I'll splurge on pizza and ice cream. If I want to go out to eat and eat an entire bucket of chicken wings (true story from last weekend) I'm going to go out and eat an entire bucket of chicken wings.

I'm a foodie girl who likes to eat, okay, and I don't plan on stifling that, just modifying – doing less of that and fueling my body with nutrients on the daily. As cliche as it may be, everything in moderation!

I also went out searching for "healthier" sweets like super dark chocolate and naturally sweetened snacks, like granola, coconut, etc. What I have learned, though, is to do less of that and fuel my body with nutrients on the daily, and also increase my exercise.

Like I said before, I have been in sports for years and years, from AYSO soccer as a little kid that everyone is pretty much forced to try, to tee-ball, to varsity and club sports throughout high school. Because of this, I never really "hit the gym" per say.

In fact, if I'm being brutally honest, before college I don't think I ever worked out in a gym setting, besides conditioning in my school's weight room. When I got to college, things changed. I didn't have a sport to keep me constantly in shape, which was both frustrating and kind of depressing. I felt like I was empty, and I did not feel great about myself physically.

I knew I had to make a change, but I DREADED the thought of going to the gym.

The transition into college was (and still is) a tough one for me, and I was looking for coping mechanisms. I always felt happy when I was breaking a sweat–and it is scientifically proven that exercising improves endorphins which makes you feel all excited and happy, so you know what I did? Hauled my butt to the gym, and I'm so happy that I did.

I have re-fallen in love with exercising and working out, and I am truly starting to feel better. It helps me destress, get my frustration out, it boosts my energy, and it overall makes me feel great. I can truly appreciate a workout that kicks my butt, and I also can appreciate days where I'm tired and just watch Netflix and go on the elliptical.

I also joined a group on campus called CHAARG, which is a fitness group for girls. Every week, we go to a different studio around Ann Arbor and workout together, and there are also small group sessions once a week. I look forward to working out every day, but if there are days where I can't fit it in–I don't force it.

I'm not doing anything over the top, I'm not killing myself to reach a goal weight, and I'm not going on any crazy fad diets.

My goal is not a number... it's a feeling.

I want to feel strong, confident, and healthy. Yes, I want to trim my waist and tone my muscles, but I am beginning to realize that it's not an overnight thing. It takes time, dedication, and a positive mindset.

When I find myself thinking "I should've worked out harder" or "I shouldn't have eaten that much," I remind myself that this is not some quick fad or fix–it's my life. I think that we all need to just stop comparing ourselves to the fitness models and to the celebrities that pay big bucks to have their tummies tucked and butts augmented. That's not real!!!

But what is real is wanting to be the best version of myself! And that definitely isn't a hangry fad-diet chasing, gym-living skeleton of myself... It's a nourished and happy self.