Halloween Is This Week And I Have No Idea Who I Am, Let Alone Who I’m Dressing As

College is a trying time, especially during Halloween week.

12

Ah, Halloween. Somehow, some way, college students (myself included) have managed to take Halloween and stretch it out into a week-long period of partying, fun, and drinking. As if that wasn't enough, students have also somehow managed to plan and coordinate multiple Halloween costumes to go along with the festivities. Despite the fact that Halloween is literally right around the corner, I haven't even found one costume yet. Nope, not one.

Although I could credit this to my insanely busy schedule, I've actually put a lot of thought into Halloween costumes this year. My roommate started telling me during the first week of September that we needed to plan for Halloween, however, I figured I would ride it out and find something super simple. Nonetheless, the other night as I was browsing various Pinterest posts trying to find a potential costume, I came to this realization; why do we dress up and pretend to be someone we're not when we don't even know what the hell we're doing with our lives in the first place? We spend so much time trying to find a costume that's the funniest, or the sexiest, or maybe the scariest, but why?

On Halloween, everyone is being someone who they aren't. That might just be me being overly analytical, but it's the truth. We spend so much time trying to be authentic and trying to navigate who we really are in college, yet for one night, or even a week, we spend so much time putting on a costume that masks who we really are.

I will be the first to admit that I literally have no clue what I'm doing. I go through phases of believing that I have my sh** together, but deep down, I have no clue what the hell I'm doing, let alone what I'm going to be the one (or five) nights that I go out for Halloween.

So by all means, be whatever the hell you want for Halloween, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. However, when you do go out for Halloween, who do you want to be? After all, Halloween only comes once a year, you can't pretend you're someone you aren't forever.