No, I Can’t Open My Own Door

No, I Can’t Open My Own Door

Chivalry really did die… thanks to feminism.

215
No, I Can’t Open My Own Door
Tumblr

In today’s society, every little thing is judged based on political correctness, equality or feminism. If you look back on the society of our grandparents, even our parents, you will see the we are missing one very important aspect that made those societies so honorable and so well-mannered: chivalry. This is such an underrated quality to have, and I believe, it’s because feminism has taken it upon itself to be the sole reason men are not being respectful to women.

I am not saying that feminism is a bad thing. Nor am I saying that all men are disrespectful. I may not be a “feminist” in society’s sense… I do not believe that a woman should want to compare herself to a man, or strive to be equal man. She should strive to be a woman... to be herself. Nor do I think that a woman should be entitled to something just because she is a woman. But I also don’t think a man should feel that way either. I strongly believe that there are certain things that a woman was created for, that men cannot do… and there are certain things a man was created for that a woman cannot do. I do, however, believe in fair wage and in equal opportunity for women. Men and women need to work together in society and actually act, rather than compare two very, very distinct things.

I’m sorry, but I do not want to be like a man. I am a woman. I was not created that way, nor do I ever feel that I should be compared to the other gender. But rather, I feel that I should be respected by said other gender. Yes, a woman can have her CEO position just as fairly as a man can… but she still, as a woman, deserves to have her door opened for her. We are designed for very distinct objectives and that should not be looked down upon. Men are, historically, created to be protectors and providers. Woman are created to be more nurturing and caring… I mean, why are we the ones who can give birth? That in itself is a quality that deserves the utmost respect and consideration at all times. We are different, and we should respect that about one another.

It really pains me to hear a woman say, “I can open my own door, I don’t need a man to do it.” Yes, obviously you can, but it is a sign of respect and honor for a man to do a chivalrous thing for you, even if it is as small as opening the door for you. It has been tradition for years, centuries even. He is not trying to make fun of you or put you down, he is simply showing you the respect he feels that you deserve. And women should really appreciate that.

Chivalry is not about making a woman look weak. It’s about expressing the care and respect that all women deserve. It has become such an underrated quality now because so many people feel that having a man do a kind thing for you is making you look less dignified and weak. This is really not what is on the mind of a man when he decides to be a gentleman in order to show a woman how much he cares for her. I guarantee that when my boyfriend holds the door for me (the rare times he remembers to) he is not thinking, “she is so weak, let me get this for her.” Because I can very easily open that door, but it is nice to feel special in that sense.

Being chivalrous has been part of society for so long, and it is quickly disappearing. Women are not respected or cared for like they once were. And men are not as attentive or thoughtful as they used to be. Chivalry is not a sign of weakness for a woman, and it is not a sign of weakness for a man. It does not make a man look weak... or whipped. It honestly, makes a man attractive... to me. It gives to each party what they deserve: respect.

So, chivalry can proudly hold the door as feminism walks out… because that is what is going to bring this society back to the traditional and mannerly one that it should be.