A Young Adult Review Of The Nintendo Switch

Is this revolutionary system worth buying?

31
gamesradar

With the recent release of the new gaming system the Nintendo Switch, there has been a lot of talk over whether the system is worth purchasing. The new technology has the ability to play games on a TV or monitor as well as being a handheld system when traveling or on the go. It also uses cartridge format games rather than the disc format games which makes it easier to travel with. It is currently priced at around $300 and sold out of pre-orders and in stores on the first day of its release. However, with few large games released for the platform, there is controversy of whether it is worth it to purchase the new system or if the new platform is a waste of time and money.

The system itself is pretty simple and uses the same controls that all Nintendo systems use making it easy to adjust to. It features two Joy-Con controllers that attach to the side of the main system for on the go but can be removed and used either separately similar to Wii remotes or put together to form a controller similar to the typical game system controller. Overall, the system is very simplistic and easy to figure out through instructions making it great for players of all ages.

Recently there have been issues with customers complaining about scratched screens on the system and the Joy-Cons not properly working. Customers stated that by placing the mobile system in the dock to play on a larger screen, the screens of the mobile systems were beginning to crack. Nintendo said that the docking system never created cracks on the screens during any of their testing and over the months that the product has been brought to conventions so the screen cracks must have come from another source. A simple measure that could be used to protect the screen is a screen protector similar to what is available for phones and tablets.

Another issue was the connectivity of the Joy-Cons and that they would suddenly disconnect from the system. Listening to the issues of the customers, Nintendo created a help page that explained reasons why the disconnecting may be happening and how to solve the issues or prevent them from happening. Since the creation of the page, there have been fewer issues regarding the disconnection of the Joy-Cons creating no need for replacing the products.

Another concern with the system is the lack of games released along with it. The biggest excitement for the system was the release of the newest Legend of Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Besides this game, there are only a few small games released at the same time as the system. While not many have been released yet, there are many that will be released soon and are finishing up development like Splatoon 2 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® which will be released later this year. So even though there weren't many games released at the same time as the system, there are more on their way in the future.

Overall the Nintendo Switch seems like it is worth the purchase, however I personally will be waiting a little bit to make sure any more issue or bugs can be solved before purchasing the system. Even though it is more expensive than some other systems, it is able to be played on both a large and small format which makes the price a little more reasonable for the experience that is provided.