9 Things That Happen When You're Financially Independent

There are definitely ups and downs to being financially independent

29
Anais & Dax

I still remember the day my parents sat me down and told me I was being cut off. No more hanging out with friends after school—it was time to work. If I ran low on money, I could no longer ask them for a couple bucks and I started to feel like a real adult. Things really changed from then on and a lot of my friends were in the same boat as me, so here's a list of nine things that happen once you become financially independent

1. You know the exact balance of your bank account.

Whether that’s savings or checking account, you know exactly how much money you have and you cannot get those numbers out of your head. If you’re like most people who are newly financially independent, those numbers also put you in a constant state of paranoia because they just aren’t high enough for you to be comfortable. You probably even compulsively check your balances on your phone every chance you get, even when you know nothing has changed.

2. You have money-spending mood-swings.

Given that you always know the exact balance of your bank account, you go through phases. When it’s payday, you get super excited at your recent wealth and spend almost every dime you have. Then after a few days you freak out and refuse to even buy yourself dental floss because you only have money for necessities (side note: I could give a lecture on the benefits of dental floss. It is a necessity, people).

3. You find yourself getting frustrated at your friends who aren’t financially independent.

Whether it’s because you’re jealous and wish your mom gave you money every time you wanted to go get ice cream, or you’re annoyed at all the constant “Wanna go to the movies?” texts you get, it happens to the best of us. It’s hard when your friends don’t get it. If they need gas money, they get it from their parents. They don’t understand what it’s like to stress about bills. They don’t understand what it’s like to be left out of things because you just can’t afford to spend your money. They also might get frustrated at you for never being able to do things, but that comes with the territory.

4. You learn to appreciate the things your parents do for you.

When your parents take you out to dinner, it’s ten times more meaningful than when they used to give you lunch money every day. You begin to realize just how much your parents did for you, and the kind of sacrifices they made so you could be taken care of. (Thanks mom and dad).

5. You start making a “I’m finally not broke” bucket-list.

Maybe this is just me, but I start writing down things I want to buy and things I want to do when I’m not broke anymore. At the very least, I keep a mental list-- concert tickets, those new shoes I want, that restaurant I’ve been dying to go to. Basically all the things you told yourself not to spend money on when you were trying to be responsible will get their turn.

6. You try to save as much money as possible.

You may only be in your early twenties, but you’ve mastered the art of couponing, scouring the sale racks and all those crazy apps that can save you a couple bucks.

7. You’re a stickler for keeping things fair.

The few times you do end up going out with your friends, you’re overly conscious about how much money you’re spending. If you drive, you expect a little bit of reimbursement. It can be super annoying when you drive and others aren’t willing to contribute gas money or even a coffee on the way. What’s even worse is when people want to split the check evenly. I know it makes things a bit more complicated, but it’s not fair to make someone pay for something that wasn’t theirs.

Friends, try and keep in mind that some people work very hard for every cent they make and just because you get your money handed to you by your parents doesn’t mean we get that too. Try and be mindful.

8. You feel immensely more responsible than all your friends who still depend on other people.

As much as you complain about being financially independent, the bragging rights that come with the territory are pretty great. It doesn’t always feel great to be broke, but it does feel great to be responsible enough to support yourself.

9. You’re better off than all your friends who aren’t financially independent yet.

Obviously I don’t know this yet for sure, but that’s what everyone has been telling me and I’m holding out hope for all of us that this rings true. Our stressful years of working our butts off to pay our bills and hating our friends who never had to do the same will (hopefully) pay off and we’ll all be a little bit more prepared for the real world.