The Word 'Nice' Is NOT What You Thought

The Word 'Nice' Is NOT What You Thought

This word is like black coffee; nothing to it with no effort

144
The Word 'Nice' Is NOT What You Thought
Kinga Cichewicz

"You're so nice!"

"What a nice person!"

"He's too nice."

Nice is one of the most overused words I have ever heard in my life. Have you all ever thought about what the word "nice" really means to you?

According to the Dictionary, "nice" means pleasing, agreeable, or delightful.

Urban Dictionary, on the other hand, defines "nice" does not necessarily mean something complimentary.

I have been told before I'm too nice. I disagree with that description. I was considered as the nice girl in school, which annoyed me a little bit. There are some things that I don't believe apply to the nice category.

I believe I am a good person, but nice isn't how I would describe myself. For example, if I didn't want to start a fight, it doesn't mean I'm too nice. It means that I want to be civil and it's totally fine to be civil. Fights are immature anyway. I speak my mind when I need to. I don't allow anyone to walk all over me. I'm not afraid of what anyone thinks.

Many people tend to call things or people without thinking about the purpose of the word.

A "nice" person is someone who does it in order to be noticed. Nice has implied personality and it is possible to be a nice person without possessing kindness.

Nice applies to egoism, which is an ethical theory that treats self-interest as a morality. When people are "nice," they tend to be that way because they are seeking approval and feel the need to please others. In other ways, people tend to be "nice" by attempting to get what they want.

Nice people tend to be passive and weak because they are concerned with gaining the favor of another person. Nice behavior tends to be deceiving since it is supposed to be a cover for a villainous personality. Behaviors are not even in the line of the person's own interests.

As an English major, I believe people can find better and more specific words than nice.

Here are some words to spice the "nice"

- cordial

- compassionate

- admirable

- sweet

- generous

The list goes on and on