Will 2017 AFC Division Winners Be Better, Worse, Or The Same In 2018?
Professional

A look at some of the key additions and departures for 2017 NFL division winners, and how that impacts their chances to repeat this upcoming season.

239

NFC Rankings here.

AFC East: 2017 Division Winner: New England Patriots (13-3)

Key Additions: DT Danny Shelton, WR Jordan Matthews, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, DB Jason McCourty, RB Sony Michel (Rookie), OT Isaiah Wynn (Rookie)

Key Departures: OT Nate Solder, WR Brandin Cooks, WR Danny Amendola, CB Malcolm Butler, RB Dion Lewis

2018 Fate: Same

Although the Patriots are losing some key players, nothing really changes. They'll be the same because they're always the same. They're gonna win their division for like the 52nd year in a row. Or something like that. As long as the Pats have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, they'll be playing deep into the postseason.

When you combine the best coach in NFL history with the greatest football player to ever put on a helmet, you get the kind of consistent success that New England has grown accustomed to.

Sure, losing two starting receivers, a tackle, and a top-10 corner would neuter most teams. But the Patriots are not most teams. They'll likely be playing in the AFC Championship game again. The additions of Georgia teammates Michel and Wynn were two picks I really liked in the draft. Michel brings a ton of versatility to the backfield, and could be this years' version of Alvin Kamara.

Wynn can play guard or tackle, which provides some nice flexibility to the O-line. One thing to watch is the emergence of Jordan Matthews. With stud receiver Julian Edelman being suspended the first four games of the season, and Amendola no longer being with the team, it will be crucial that Matthews becomes a reliable weapon for Brady. If he can post 60 catches, that's a success.

AFC North 2017 Division Winner: Pittsburgh Steelers (13-3)

Key Additions: S Morgan Burnett, DB Tyrell Edmunds (Rookie), QB Mason Rudolph (Rookie), WR James Washington (Rookie)

Key Departures: LB Ryan Shazier (Injured), WR Martavis Bryant, S Mike Mitchell

2018 Fate: Same

The Steelers didn't really make a ton of additions to move the meter on their success this upcoming season, but they didn't have many losses either.

Obviously the loss of Shazier is tragic, and I'm rooting for him to come back and be the superstar he was before his injury. (He's looking good, too.) The offensive cast is still as good as anyone in football. Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster form a fantastic receiving duo. Lev Bell is maybe the best running back playing right now, with a smooth and patient running-style.

The O-line is one of the better groups in the league, and will give ample time to triggerman Ben Roethlisberger, who is entering his 15th season. If he can continue to orchestrate this offense, one that is losing a talented coordinator in Todd Haley, they'll still be cooking with gas in January. Their division shouldn't pose many problems. Although I'm a fan of the moves the Browns made, they're still a year away from competing.

The Bengals are literally the most average team you could think of, led by a completely uninspiring QB. And the Ravens are also woefully average, opting to go with Joe Flacco at quarterback when they have an electric talent like rookie QB Lamar Jackson waiting to be unleashed. Pittsburgh will win the division, and win it handily.

AFC South 2017 Division Winner: Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6)

Key Additions: OG Andrew Norwell, WR Donte Moncrief, TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, DL Taven Bryan (Rookie), WR D.J. Chark (Rookie)

Key Departures: WR Allen Robinson, WR Allen Hurns, LB Paul Posluszny (Retired), CB Aaron Colvin, TE Marcedes Lewis

2018 Fate: Worse

Although the Jags may post a better record in 2018, I don't see them making it back to the AFC Championship game. Look, that defense is good. They could be the best group in the NFL. Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye form the best corner tandem in the league.

Telvin Smith wreaks havoc from sideline to sideline as the fastest linebacker in the game. Calais Campbell, Yannick Ngakoue, Malik Jackson, Marcell Dareus, and Dante Fowler Jr. form the best front seven in football. Now you add a rookie, who has drawn comparisons to J.J. Watt, and you have something that's truly scary. Linebacker Myles Jack, and safeties Tashaun Gipson and Barry Church are no slouches either.

The questions surround the offense.

Although Leonard Fournette is the real-deal, and I think D.J. Chark is a great addition to the offensive style, there are still grave concerns surrounding Blake Bortles. He's okay when you hide him behind a dynamic running attack and aggressive defense, but there's no way he can win on his own. If the Jaguars are smart, they'll move on from Bortles after this year, and go after a quarterback that they win games because of, not in spite of.

AFC West 2017 Division Winner: Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)

Key Additions: WR Sammy Watkins, CB Kendall Fuller, LB Anthony Hitchens, CB David Amerson, OLB Breeland Speaks (Rookie), DT Derrick Nnadi (Rookie), S Armani Watts (Rookie)

Key Departures: QB Alex Smith, WR Albert Wilson, OL Zach Fulton, CB Marcus Peters, ILB Derrick Johnson, OLB Tamba Hali, S Ron Parker, DT Bennie Logan

2018 Fate: Worse

How confident is the Chiefs brass in 2nd year quarterback Patrick Mahomes? They traded away the 2017 NFL leader in passer rating, a guy who has won more games over the past five years than anyone not named Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Mahomes has been that impressive. He'll have plenty of weapons at his disposal, as he's surrounded by what could be the best group of skill players in the NFL.

Tyreek Hill and Watkins will form an electric duo on the outside, leaving Travis Kelce to work the middle of the field. Let's not forget about 2017 NFL rushing champ Kareem Hunt. If Mahomes can back up the hype, this offense will be one of the best in the league for years to come. However, defensively, there remain questions. After an offseason featuring the trade of mercurial cornerback Marcus Peters, and the departures of franchise cornerstones in Johnson and Hali, this is a defense that will have plenty of new faces in the starting lineup.

The key group to monitor is the pass-rush. If Justin Houston and Dee Ford can both remain healthy (which is a rarity), and one other guy emerges (Tanoh Kpassagnon? Breeland Speaks?), then this defense looks a whole lot better. If not, opposing QB's will be able to sit back and pick on KC's corners.