For one week I decided I was only going to get my news from alt-right news sources in an attempt to see how some Americans get their news year-round. I focused on four popular sites: Info Wars, The Blaze, Breitbart and The Daily Wire.

I attempted to go into this as unbiased as possible but admittedly that wasn't an easy feat for me. Being a journalism major who gets most of my news from NPR, CNN and Vox I would say I generally consume mainstream and "left-leaning" media sources. However, I was actually happily surprised by some of what I read this week.

Starting on Wednesday the 28th I was already bombarded with the stereotypical conservative media outlook. Everything from a Blaze article taking a negative spin on children being taught to accept LGBTQ people to chastising Jim Acosta to being representative of the mainstream media.

The next day was seemingly more predictable, reading an article poking fun at liberals for considering John Kerry as a 2020 presidential candidate. One particular article I read stood out, however. It was a response to a Huffington Post piece about how Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer is "problematic." The Post cites there are blatant instances of bullying, sexism, and homophobia. By publishing this response, they are attempting to tell their readers "look how crazy and sensitive liberals are," when this highlights a far-left niche of Democrats who aren't truly representative of the party.

One article that troubled me the most was an article by the Daily Wire. The article is titled "REPORT: One-Third Of Migrant Caravan Sick: HIV, Tuberculosis, Chickenpox." This is extremely misleading because when you read the article you find out while one-third of the migrants are suspected to be sick, it's not from just those three diseases mentioned. There are only three confirmed cases of TB, four of HIV and four of chickenpox. Many of the sick migrants actually have a skin infection or lice. This is just one example of how the Alt-Right intentionally installs fear into people.

At the end of the week, I shockingly found some articles that did interest me. These were articles that big news outlets typically wouldn't publish. I didn't care so much for the reporter's commentary in these articles, more so just the actual news event. This included learning of a study finding that white liberal politicians tend to dumb down their language when speaking to minority groups.

Plus, I even found articles critical of elected Republicans and President Donald Trump. One article criticizing Republican Senators for cutting a deal that would result in "more than double the annual importation of low-skilled foreign workers to the U.S. to take blue-collar American jobs." Another article criticizing Trump's rhetoric over Twitter regarding economic policy, as it has caused the stock market to drop over 700 points.

One common theme I found amongst these publications was that they were proud to be known as "outsiders." Info Wars, bragging about their banned content and others critical of the mainstream media. Overall, getting my news this week from only alt-right news sources wasn't ideal. I felt like I missed out on a lot of news because there is only so many alt-right sources and they choose mainly stories in their interest. Plus, these sites repeatedly perpetuated fear-based news giving their readers a negative outlook of the world.