New York Governor’s Race Coverage: Part 5
Politics

DeFransisco Leaves Race, Green, Libertarian, and Reform Party Candidate Selections.

368
Wikipedia

Greetings, this is the latest installment on a series covering the 2018 New York Governor’s Race. For those who are interested in reading the earlier installments, you can click the following links:

Introduction to New York Governor’s Election

Republican Straw Poll, Corruption in Cuomo Administration, and Other Recent News

Molinaro, Nixon, and Hawkins Enter the Race

Working Families Party Endorses Nixon, Conservative Party Endorses Molinaro

In the past week, we have seen some significant developments as various political parties work to select their candidates for the gubernatorial election.

State Senate Deputy Majority leader John DeFransisco has suspended his campaign. DeFransisco had attempted to gain the Republic Party’s nomination. For a time, he had been the leading contender in the race, until Marc Molinaro entered the race and quickly assumed front runner status. In this past week DeFransisco came to conclude that he saw no clear path to be able to change the dynamic and ended his campaign. With DeFransisco exiting the campaign, and Molinaro’s growing collection of endorsements among figures in the Republican Party, is all but guaranteed to win the Republican nomination for Governor.

The Green Party is moving forward with preparing its Gubernatorial ticket. Teacher and union activist, Jia Lee has announced that she is seeking the Green Party nomination for Lieutenant Governor. She has been endorsed by Howie Hawkins (two-time Green Party candidate for Governor, who is running for the green party nomination for a third time). The Green Party will be holding its nominating convention for statewide candidates on May 19th.

On April 20th-22nd, the Libertarian held a statewide convention and selected its Gubernatorial ticket. Larry Sharpe was selected as their candidate for Governor and Andrew Hollister was selected as their candidate for Lieutenant Governor. The Libertarian Party is hoping that their ticket might be able to finally get the 50,000 votes required for their party to gain state ballot recognition. Despite having run candidates for decades, the party has never been able to get enough votes to gain state ballot recognition. Though there is a change that 2018 might be the year that changes.

On April 23rd, the executive committee of the New York state Reform Party held a meeting to consider who they may nominate for Governor. Possibilities considered included Joel Giambra, Marc Molinaro, Larry Sharp, and Joseph Holland. The executive committee has split over who to support, with Molinaro and Giambra attracting the highest levels of support. In the following days, Guardian Angels Founder and New York Reform Party Chairman, Curtis Silwa stated that he was considering seeking the Reform Party nomination. The question of who the Reform Party will nominate will be considered at the Reform Party’s state convention on May 19th. If they can’t decide on a candidate during the convention, a primary vote will be held in September.

That is it for this installment; stay tuned for future coverage, as we move further along in the New York Gubernatorial Race.