These 5 New York City Nature Day Trips Saved Me This Summer

These 5 Nature Day Trips In The New York City Area Saved Me From Serious Cabin Fever This Summer

For when cabin fever gets the best of you.

2003

One of the biggest discomforts I initially had with the stay-at-home order was feeling trapped and isolated from what was going on outside the walls of my house. Add that to living in a massive city, where social distancing is nearly impossible when doing something as simple as walking down the street.

Luckily, over the past few weeks, I've visited a handful of different city and state parks surrounding me, and have compiled a list of my favorite spots.

I love them all for different reasons — some having hiking trails you can climb with your family or some friends, some having great scenic overlooks you can have picnics over with your S.O., but all having beautiful areas where you can take and absorb the tranquility of nature around you.

All the spots below are within a two-hour distance from the city, making them perfect for a simple day trip whenever you feel that cabin fever is getting on your nerves.

1. Storm King Mountain in the Hudson Valley, if you're up for a challenging hike, but a worthwhile view

@sarahinpeekskill

2. Canopus Lake in Putnam County, NY, if you want to take pictures for the 'gram by this beautiful lake

@ccasefacee

3. Allamuchy State Park in Allamuchy, NJ, if you want to pack a picnic to have with your loved one over this scenic overlook

@buewho

4. Sleeping Giant State Park in Hamden, CT, if you want a hike that isn't too much of a challenge, but still be rewarded with beautiful sights

@jyeckley

5. Cunningham Park in Queens, NY, if you don't want to travel too far, but want to forget that you're in a big city

@zachery_visuals