10 Realistic New Years' Resolutions You Can Actually Do

It's great to have resolutions, but let's be realistic about it.

15
Unsplash

It's that time of year again where everyone decides they are going to try and better themselves.

Now, I'm not saying that New Years' resolutions are a bunch of bolognas; however, sometimes these resolutions are so unrealistic that when they don't come easy or, even worse, when you don't complete them, you can feel defeated.

So, let's start with easy, realistic goals to become the best you can be!

1. Go to bed one hour earlier.

Everyone always needs more sleep, so let this year be the year we turn off the TV or the cell phone and go to bed.

2. Eat healthier.

Eating healthier is however you deem fit. Forget those commercials and magazine articles telling you what healthy looks like; do what is good for you.

This could mean getting take-out less and cooking your meals more, or eating more fruits and veggies with every meal. It could also mean eating great during the week and treating yourself to cake on the weekend. However you want to eat healthy is all up to you.

3. Be more patient.

Of course, it's important to be more patient with others. It's even more important to be patient with yourself. Creating new habits can be difficult, so remember that it's okay to fall off the wagon every now and then. Just make sure you hop back on.

4. Go for a walk.

If exercising more is your goal, but those gym fees are keeping you from achieving this goal, try going for a walk. Not only is going for a walk beneficial for your physical health, but it is also great for your mental health.

5. Log off social media for a day.

Looking for other ways to help your mental health? Logging off of social media is great for your mental health. It gives you a break from comparing your life to others and gives you a chance to focus on you.

6. Read more books.

Instead of watching show after show or YouTube video after video, give reading a chance. If reading is not your thing, do not make a huge commitment to this. Try only reading a chapter every day or so. Make sure it's a book you like; it's 100% okay to switch up the book if you don't like it.

7. Get a new hobby.

This is your year to be more creative, so let's dabble with some new hobbies. Give painting, knitting, crocheting, baking, or even flipping old furniture into something new a try. Whatever makes you happy, just do it.

8. Drink more water.

Not only is this goal easy, but there are also many benefits to drinking water. You've probably already heard these benefits, so what's stopping you? Make this year the year to drink more water and become the best you.

9. Learn a new word every day.

This will be the year you broaden your vocabulary. There are so many apps that can help with this, such as the Merriam-Webster app on iOS and Android. But don't stop there with just learning a new word; try using it when talking that day.

10. Take care of yourself.

If all else fails, the most important thing to do this year is to take care of yourself.

This is however you want to take care of yourself. Take a daily nap. Have an at-home spa day. Go out for dinner by yourself or with your family. Whatever you want to do this year, make sure you do it because it makes you happy.