Michigan State's John Engler Resigned & MSU Isn't Shocked

Michigan State's President John Engler Resigned And MSU Is Not Shocked

The slogan, Spartans WILL, really isn't holding weight this past year with regard to MSU's presidency.

242
Nate Radowski

On January 24th, 2018 President Lou Anna K. Simon stepped down and resigned from Michigan State University due to her knowledge and approach to the Nassar scandal. I remember this day like it was yesterday, every student in the cafeteria was circled by the TV's in silence and despair. What happened next? Former governor John Engler was appointed to become interim president.

Now almost exactly one year later, January 16th 2019, Engler made shameful comments about the victims of former sports doctor, Larry Nassar's sexual assault. Even typing the name makes me sick to my stomach.

This week, John Engler resigns from the interim president position, not surprising Michigan State. When will the day come where our university selects a strong leader, someone who chooses to heal over mock?

Clearly Engler wasn't fit for the position in the first place, just because he was Michigan's governor doesn't mean he knows how to lead a University that has gone through such turmoil. He was supposed to be the one who would bring positivity and reform during this horrible period of time. In reality, he didn't care at all, he had no right to degrade the victims and claim that they're just "enjoying the spotlight". I've seen this man speak at the Kellogg center working my old banquet job, I think HE enjoys the spotlight.

In my opinion, the students, faculty and survivors have worked a lot harder for change in our school than this disqualified political figure. He may have higher education, a reputable background and he is a businessman, but he was never fit to lead Michigan State. The sad part is, us students aren't surprised. We don't expect much considering Michigan State's past leadership.

We want and need a strong leader who is also an admirable human being who we can look up to. Right now, the only thing keeping us intact is our circle of qualified faculty, pride and each other. It is crucial for our professors to be open about this and show that they are right here beside us, just as lost. We don't know what is going to happen, but we deserve positive reform and a leader who will actually care about making rights out of the countless wrongs.

We want to be proud of our school, we want to be proud Spartans. So when will Spartans WILL?