New Year, Same Goal

New Year, Same Goal

The Cleveland Indians have a great opportunity to bounce back in 2017.

14
New Year, Same Goal
This is Cleveland

It might be just me, but when the Indians lost in the world series, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Being so close to becoming World Series champs, only to come up just a little bit short. The Indians were probably lucky to get that far. No one had faith in the Cleveland Indians. Once again it was Cleveland against the world. There were many good teams in the American League. Teams that were definitely more talented than the Indians. But, that was last year. A new season is upon us and the Indians appear to be geared up and motivated at making another post season run. I remember after they lost in game 7, Jason Kipnis and Francisco Lindor were already talking about spring training in Arizona. The boys are ready to go and so are the fans. These are some of the things that need to happen or have already started to happen in order for the Indians to make another historic run in the post season.

Michael Brantley

Having Michael Brantley could make all of the difference. He was injured most of last season and the season before. It is critical that he is regularly playing and contributing. If he can return to 2015 Michael Brantley, we will definitely be a force to reckon with. During the 2015 campaign, he was batting .310. He hit 15 home runs and had 84 runs batted in. He will also be a key contributor in our outfield. If he can stay healthy and put up some solid numbers, then the Indians will be looking pretty solid.

Key acquisitions and spending $$$$$$$

The Indians have been opening the old check books going into this season. They locked up outfielder Brandon Guyer, Austin Jackson, Bryan Shaw, Danny Salazar, Cody Allen, Zach McAllister, Trevor Bauer and Lonnie Chisenhall. Oh yeah, and we signed Edwin Encarnacion to a 3 year 80 million dollar deal. That is very unlike the Indians to spend that kind of money. This has kept the team much like last year, but will most likely make us better with the addition of Encarnacion. Having Andrew Miller back is very critical. We traded for him last year and he was the difference in much of the playoffs. We traded away the farm for him last year, but he will be a big reason for our success this season.

Dingers, dingers, and more dingers

The Indians are going to be hitting lots of home runs this year. Unfortunately the party at Napoli's is over, but we upgraded with Encarnacion. Last year the 34 year old slugger batted .266 while hitting 42 home runs. He will for sure hit about that in Cleveland. Carlos Santana will look to continue his hitting ways as well. He hit 34 homers last season while batting .247. Add Jason Kipnis, Francisco Lindor, and Michael Brantley and you can guarantee the Indians will be hitting a serious amount of fingers this year. As a team, they hit 185 home runs last season and I would expect more than that come 2017.

100 wins

Last season the Indians went 94-67. Earning the Indians 1st place in the AL Central Division. With the Indians having all the main pieces back and some new upgrades, it is definitely possible for the Cleveland Indians to win more than 100 games in 2017.

Tito

Terry Francona is arguably one of the best managers in all of baseball. With Tito, anything is possible. He completes the Cleveland Indians. Terry has one thing he needs to accomplish this season. He needs to create that drive. He needs to have a team that is hungry to get back to the post season. There could be some complacency based on last seasons success. I think that may be the biggest challenge ahead. They have a target on their backs and need to perform. If anyone can get the troops in line, it would be Tito.

Regardless, with spring training going on, it is clear that the baseball season will sneak up on us quickly. The fans are excited, and the players are excited. I think the Cleveland Indians have a great opportunity and I can't wait till the season start. The Indians have a new year ahead of the and their goal remains the same. To win a World Series.