It's A New Year And My Resolution Is To Be My Best Self

2020 ... a new year for personal growth, different experiences, and living life to the fullest!

32

Every one of us wants to start the new year off right. Whether it is working out more, achieving better grades in school, managing time better, ridding oneself of toxic friends, and on and on and on. However, we often tell ourselves that we want to make a change, but we do not actually put in the effort to do so. We find ourselves constantly putting our goals off and convincing ourselves that we will start tomorrow, and then in the blink of an eye it's one year later and the cycle continues. I am one of those people who decide on an insightful resolution and then push it off and never follow through.

This year is different. At the end of 2019--- a year of growth, maturity, more happy tears than sad tears, and more confidence and security--- I am ready to put in the effort to be the best version of myself and to focus on being grateful for what I have.

When I was on vacation with my family, we all went around the room and said our New Year's resolutions. Usually, I try to think back to what I said the year before or basically copy the person before me because I know it's all a bunch of "bolognese" anyway, and no one really follows their own resolution. But this year I volunteered to go first and was super excited to give mine.

Everyone looked at me surprised that I was so eager to start it off. My New Year's resolutions are to be the best daughter, sister, and friend I can be, to not get caught up in the little things, and to focus more on living in the moment and enjoying the rest of my college years. My whole family clapped and each one of their faces lightened up after saying these words. I spoke from my heart and since January first I have lived by those words each and every day.

It is difficult to put in the effort and change the way one lives. It takes time, effort, and motivation, but in the end, it's worth it.

I encourage you all to try and make a change in 2020. Think of something in your life you want to go after or make an adjustment in. Maybe it's taking a course you've always wanted to take but have chosen not to because you know it will be very challenging and don't want to put in the time. Or maybe it's setting aside time during the day because no matter how busy you are you dedicate an hour to do something each day that makes you happy and releases stress (whether it's writing, working out, drawing, doing a sport, or calling your mom-- trust me, she'll appreciate it more than you know!).

Bring on the new year!

MB