Let's All Try To Be A Little Bit More Like Luna Lovegood

This New Year, Let's All Try to be a Little Bit More Like Luna Lovegood

It would make the world a much better place.

119
Emilie Crossan

Probably the strangest of all the Harry Potter characters, Luna Lovegood is a Ravenclaw in the year below Harry. Luna is my personal favorite and I cosplay her. It's no lie that I adore her and strive to be like her.

But even if you're not a Harry Potter fan, we should all take a page from Luna's odd book and try to be more like this quirky character this 2019.

Here are some of Luna's traits and quirks that we should use as mantras to live by.

Be unique

Take this year to stop trying to fit into a mold and start being an individual. Don't worry so much about pleasing others and fitting in and worry more about showing your true self.

Be proud of who you are

Luna was a true Ravenclaw and owned up to it, oddities and all. She also wasn't ashamed to be called "weird" or "Loony," despite the efforts of her schoolmates to bully her. Take your flaws and learn to love and flaunt them. Hiding your insecurities takes up so much energy that you could otherwise be using for something else.

Love everything and everyone

Luna loved all creatures: humans, animals, and even those she couldn't see. She was accepting of all and treated everyone as equals.

Be kind

Luna was a friend to all, even if all weren't her friends. Even when she was being bullied and they stole her shoes, she did not lash out or retaliate. We don't always know what the other person is going through, so instead of becoming angry with them and wasting time and energy on hating them, maybe we should take the time this year to talk to them. Maybe they just need a friend.

Be diverse

Luna may have been a Ravenclaw through and through, wise, creative, witty, but she was also brave like a Gryffindor, loyal like a Hufflepuff, and resourceful like a Slytherin. No matter what your house may be, you don't always have to stick to that.

Fill the world with your art

Luna was so creative. She loved to paint and make clothes. In a world so full of hate and sadness, we could use a little more color and art. Whether you paint, play music, sing, write, or anything that lets you express yourself, make more of it and share it with the world this year. And if you don't, maybe it's time to take up a hobby.

Luna is such an underrated character, and for what reasons? She's probably the least problematic character in the Harry Potter universe. She went through so much and still managed to keep her happy demeanor.

Luna has a huge heart that she wears on her sleeve and overall, a good person. She's the person we all want to be best friends with. I don't know if I want to be her or be friends with her. With how much I love cosplaying her, I probably want to become her.

I wish I could take these traits and cross-stitch them on pillows to keep around my house to remind me every day.

Although it's not a Luna quote, I leave you with a Lin-Manuel Miranda quote to tie this all together. I think Luna would have really loved this quote, too. It's a few lines from his Tony Awards acceptance speech.

"And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside... Now fill the world with music, love and pride."