If You Struggled This Past Year, Please Be Gracious With Yourself When Reflecting On 2021

You survived another year and you should be proud of yourself.

1695
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels

This year was hard on everyone. If you struggled, just know that you weren't alone and that others struggled as well.

This is the time of the year where everyone is posting about how their year went and what they accomplished. If you are looking at everyone’s posts and feeling like you haven’t accomplished as much as them or that you are slacking, remember that sometimes, surviving is the biggest accomplishment there is.

Success and a good year is not defined as doing a lot or achieving great things. A successful year can sometimes just mean that you showed up. If you showed up and did what you needed to do and didn’t do more than that, that's OK too. On some days, meeting the bare minimum is you doing your best. If you just met the bare minimum everyday that’s OK; you still are here and standing.

Mental health is a daily struggle. Some days you may feel great but others you may really struggle. The important thing is that you survived and you are still here. You got up everyday and decided that you would fight another day. That is the biggest achievement of all. It doesn’t matter if you got 6 Nobel Prizes, but it does matter that you got up everyday and that you chose to live your life, and know that you mattered even on days where it may not have felt like it.