New to Cosplay Culture?

New to Cosplay Culture?

4 Trends to Be Aware Of

57
New to Cosplay Culture?

Most people first learn about cosplay as they scan lifestyle and entertainment news headlines. In other cases, people run into cosplayers in action at comic book conventions or at film debuts. The cosplay community is united by certain cultural elements, and one of them happens to be trends in fashion. Here are four cosplay trends that beginners should get to know in 2018.

Black Panther Cosplay

This Marvel Comics character has received a major boost in the cosplay scene due to the 2018 debut of its eponymous film. In fact, it earned over a billion dollars at the box office. Many see the Black Panther universe as a joy to cosplay because of the sheer diversity of fashionable costumes based on Afro-Futurism. Rumors suggest that the film’s costume designers are on the short list for the 2019 Oscars. Black Panther has also opened the door to there being more diversity in the world of cosplay.

Beyond the Convention Center

Cosplay is no longer limited to comic book conventions and film premiers, however. When it comes to clothes, the trendy clothing usually worn by cosplayers can now be seen on the dance floor. Such trends started at major comic book conventions, which tend to have after-hour parties at nearby bars and dance clubs. It is not rare to see people mixing designer labels with anime shirts, like those from Capsule Corp Clothing. Cosplay features many accessories, and, thus, a woman can comfortably wear a sexy cocktail dress with Sailor Moon earrings.

Digimon Adventures Costumes

What started as a line of virtual pets has grown into a cinematic universe. With the sixth film installment of the Digimon Adventure series planned for a 2018 release, cosplayers are busy creating new costumes. Digimon is set to become as popular as Dragonball Z. Fans have been clamoring for a Digimon fashion label. It should be noted, however, that a member of the Digimon production team is the daughter of a fashion model—which has most likely been a huge influence on the genre.

Avengers: Infinity War

The Marvel Comics universe will be getting a new film in 2018, and cosplayers all over the world are getting ready for it. They’re making their costumes, planning their movie release parties, and many other such fun things. As you may already be aware of, the most popular characters in The Avengers series are Captain America and Wonder Woman. Captain America has always had a huge bout of popularity since its original comic books days. However, Wonder Woman’s popularity rose as her character was featured and starred in several recent Marvel movies. Due to her influence, the gender gap in the cosplay world has been bridged and more females are seeing themselves as part of this amazing culture.

In the end, it is important to keep in mind that cosplay is a very fluid activity. Some of the trends listed herein will likely be around for a couple of years, but new trends are bound to emerge at any time. The key to staying on top of trends is to stay active in the cosplay community.