Follow Through On Those Resolutions And Actually Get Stuff Done This Semester

It's okay if you mess up.

Ellie
Ellie
76

The most important thing you can do to make sure that you get work done this semester is taking the time to make a schedule. It is super easy to get carried away when planning what you have to do each day, so make sure you keep things realistic. You may think of reading 300 pages of your philosophy book in a day, but realistically you probably won't unless there is a project due the next day worth half your grade.

When you set aside time blocks, keep in mind your habits. If you can only do 30 pages in a row before you get detracted, then make yourself do 30 pages before you take a break. I suggest setting a timer for 30 minutes, then take a five-minute break. After five of those cycles take a 20-minute break. Another important thing to do is try to do at least one thing every day. One accomplishment a day will add up as the due dates approach.

The easiest and the best minimal effort way of remembering information is to review your notes right after class, then again a few times throughout the week. So make sure to block out small amounts of time to do this. If you have enough time you can rewrite them on the weekend, then look at them at least once a week every week till your test. The last step of scheduling is prioritizing your to-do list by how long it will take and when it is due. It is better to get the closest due dates and biggest projects out of the way first when you have the most motivation.

When you are actually doing the work, it helps to make all your notes neat and easy to follow. If they are all messy, it will probably only hurt your motivation and make everything take longer than it should. This also goes for your workspace. You don't need to waste time making them all pretty at a Studyblr level, but just neat enough where it is easy to follow. Also, you should not waste time setting up a workspace. It doesn't take 15 minutes to get all your colored pens and books out. Have a set pouch of the essentials you need to keep in your bag so you can just pull out your books and start.

It is also important to not have too many colors in your color coding system. Try to stick to four or else it will just take up too much time and get confusing. If you need background noise to study you can try ASMR Rooms on YouTube. They have nice background noise that is all Harry Potter themed. It is better to keep your background music without words, too, so they do not distract you. Make sure you take time to take care of yourself, don't get too caught up studying where you miss out on fun things or slack in the hygiene department.

Lastly, it is okay if you mess up. Everyone makes mistakes now and then, especially in the beginning. So if you are sitting there thinking you fucked up, IT'S OKAY. It happens to the best of us so it's important to focus on the recovery of your mistake. Maybe try writing down what you did wrong, how you could do better, or if you ran out of time, what distracted you.

If you need extra help, don't be afraid to go to office hours. If you are too scared to go to your professor, try some of the TAs, they are often more understanding if they just took the class. Also, try to be confident in your work. It will help you do better if you feel bad about yourself.

It's important to have the mindset that you can always get better and as long as you are trying, you will get better. If you let the little things get to you in one area, they will slowly affect your other classes, too. In the end, your efforts will be recognized, so just keep doing your best.