The Master List Of Your New Healthy Food Swaps

The Master List Of Your New Favorite (And Healthy) Food Swaps

Got zoodles?

12

Who says you can't live a healthier lifestyle and still enjoy all the yummy foods you love? By making a few swaps (without sacrificing flavor), you can still lose weight without feeling extremely restricted.

Here are a few easy swaps you'll absolutely love:

1. Cauliflower Crust 

I'm telling you, it tastes the same. Cauliflower crust has become a new favorite of mine and is slowly infiltrating into pizza shops and chains, like SNAP Pizza. The difference in carbs is so significant, and it definitely saves a lot of cals. And to be honest, I like it better anyway.

2. Zucchini Noodles

Simply amazing. Zoodles are becoming more and more popular with recipes popping up all over health and wellness blogs. There are so many different ways you can incorporate zoodles into your meals, and they're easy to disguise as regular ol' pasta. Just add some hearty ingredients and your favorite sauce (but, stick to red).

3. Cauliflower Rice 

Cauliflower rice is super filling and adds minimal calories to your meal. You can use it in stir fry, as a side dish, under grilled chicken...you name it.

4. High-Protein Ice Cream 

The competition to invent the healthiest and highest-protein ice cream has definitely commenced among food companies all over the world, and not gonna lie, the time investment in curating the best recipe is definitely worth it. Brands like Halo Top have been flying off the shelves for obvious reasons. Try it out—you can still have that bowl of ice cream every night with no guilt.

5. REAL Fruit and Green Juices 

First things first, do not spend your money on Naked juice (lol). The sugar content is killing your weight loss journey. Instead, take the time to read ingredients and invest in REAL fruit and green juices. My favorite is Trader Joe's cold-pressed green juice because there's no BS, and I always feel good afterward!

6. Greek Yogurt

I often use Greek yogurt as a substitute for those creamy salads you can't get enough of (like egg salad or chicken salad) or as a substitute for cream cheese. Sometimes I even use it as sour cream on my nachos! Greek yogurt has a lot of possibilities in the substitution world, and it can definitely be a helpful tool in your weight loss journey. Not to mention, it's high in protein!

7. Choose Open Faced! 

This is more of a tip than a swap, but I use this too often to not add it on the list. Having a sandwich or a bagel? Ditch the top layer of bread and have it open faced! Bread is packed with unnecessary carbs (you can get them somewhere else) and takes away from the rest of the wholesome foods that you can fill up on.

8. Powdered PB

I'm a huuuuuge nut butter gal, and it was my biggest point of weakness when I decided I wanted to lose weight. I literally was eating spoonfuls of peanut butter right out of the Skippy jar. Then, I discovered powdered peanut butter and it changed all of that for me! I was able to give myself a good serving to eat with bananas without the guilt. Also, I wasn't able to eat it out of the jar anymore— it totally eliminated that temptation for me.

9. Veggies for Chips

Wanna go all out on guac? Swap the tortilla chips for cucumbers, tri-colored peppers, or any other veggie your prefer! It's more filling anyway (and a lot more ~colorful~).

BTW: This is a great idea for a food tray when entertaining— party guests love the idea!

10. Say Goodbye to Creamy Ranch Dressing

"I eat salads every day, but I can't seem to lose weight!"

Let's break down what's on the salad first...dressing is 85% of the time a salad culprit, especially those creamy and high-fat ones like ranch dressing. Make the switch and swap it for olive oil and lemon juice or balsamic vinaigrette.

11. Almond Milk (or any dairy-free milk)

I love dairy-free milk because it's clean and I simply feel good when I have it. Granted, I rarely have milk on its own, I'm usually just adding it to recipes or putting it in my coffee. But, with that being said, coffee creamer is often times another culprit for people struggling to lose weight. High fat creamers are no good! My favorite alternative is almond milk, macadamia milk, or Trader Joe's coconut creamer.

12. Wine, Tequila, Vodka

These are my go-to alcohol choices over beer, sugary margaritas, or high cal cocktails.

Here are some quick switches:

1. Merlot instead of a Margarita.

2. Vodka martini with muddled cucumber and mint (with some lime or lemon juice).

3. Tequila on the rocks with LOTS of lemon and lime.

13. Cold Brew

If you're more of an iced coffee person, cold brew is a good choice for you. I can typically be found ordering a Grande cold brew from Starbucks with light almond milk and ONE pump of sugar free vanilla syrup on a hot summer day!

14. Small, Medium, or Large?!

Size matters.

Like I've said before, you can have those yummy foods that you love throughout your weightless journey in two ways.

1. Have them occasionally and in moderation

OR

2. Make a food swap

So, if the fam is going to Dairy Queen for some dessert, you don't have to stay home! With that being said, you don't have to hinder your progress either. Instead of the large oreo Blizzard, opt for a small twist in a cone (maybe add rainbow sprinkles)!