life mottos

'Nevertheless' Is What Keeps My Life Moving

Living day by day with a "glass half full" perspective. Choosing words like "nevertheless" to become more positive in a world of darkness.

507
Libby Redd

Some say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I think a word is worth a thousand moments and emotions. Our word choice defines us: what we say, who we say it to, how we say it, when we say it (or when we do not), and the meaning we imply. Every word that we say (or, in this day in age, every word that we type) has an effect on whoever hears (or reads) it. Negativity is so draining, but positivity is contagious. Despite every situation, there is always a silver lining, even if it is hard to see at first.

Nevertheless, she persisted.

I am not trying to get political here, but the quote above has been extremely influential for many women (especially in the United States) for the past few years. This was adopted by the feminist movement, but without getting too deep into the surface and details of it all, I think there is much truth to be learned from these three words. The word nevertheless stuck with me.

If I had to choose a favorite word in the English language, mine would be nevertheless.

Nothing has gone right today, nevertheless, I am alive, awake, alert, and enthusiastic.

During the holiday season, my family is a bit overwhelming, nevertheless, I am thankful for time spent with them.

My classes are hard and my course load is stressful, nevertheless, I know that in order to get where I want to be I have to persevere through the difficult material.

I am jealous of the name brand clothes and shoes my friend has, nevertheless I know I am very fortunate and I will not go cold this winter. The biggest lie that I have said over and over is "I have nothing to wear."

I'm not as skinny ... or as tall... or as pretty... or as funny... or as smart... (and so on) as so and so, nevertheless I am thankful for the life, body, and personality that I was blessed with.

I do not feel like getting out of bed today, nevertheless, I know that my homework will not get finished by itself.

I hate the cold weather, nevertheless I know that, in Kentucky, if I wait a few days, the weather will change.

I am not photogenic, nevertheless, it is the memories that are captured that mean more to me.

It seems like everything costs time, money, or energy (or all three), nevertheless for most things in life, you get what you give.

Not everything goes my way and I even have felt abandoned by some of the people I trusted the most, nevertheless, I keep in mind that the way that I react to adversity (and even backstabbing moments) defines my character. In addition, the plan that God has for my life is more important than I could imagine or even try to depict on my own.

No matter what, no matter where, choosing words like "nevertheless" in an everyday vocabulary will make the individual and others surrounding them think and feel better.