I've Never Met Someone Who Wasn't Important Before: An Inspirational TV Show For Generations.

Why Doctor Who is as good as an inspirational speech.

261

**This article is as spoiler free as possible.

Life is difficult. I've had a lot of trouble lately just getting up in the morning. The more I think about how to continue my life, the more I look for a role model or inspiration to keep going and make myself feel better.

The value of good television is extremely underrated. In our technological world, studies come out saying that TV can melt our brains, make us unintelligent, and negligent of real society. Whether or not these things are true, certain segments of television are filled with life lessons and beautiful inspiration that real life does not teach us.

And some of the characters are far more advanced and understanding than some real life people.

The British Television show Doctor Who has inspired millions all over the world with its uniqueness and wonder. I mean, it's the only show that turned 50 and then turned 10 two years later. For those of you that don't know, Doctor Who originally began in 1963. The series was rebooted in 2005 and is starting its 9th season on September 19th of this year. So, it celebrated its overall 50th anniversary in 2013 and its revival's 10th anniversary this year.

In all those years, the adventures of a time-traveling alien and his companions taught us to laugh and related to us on a here and now level.

It reminds us of the value of fruit:

It's main character gets to yell at Santa. I mean, who else would get to do that?

It creates wonderful memes, clearly relevant to our lives:

It gives us an unmatchable view on history:

It's casually hilarious:

It understands our awkward third-wheel situations:

And it shows us the wonders of a world unknown.

But more importantly, Doctor Who inspires us to understand ourselves and the world around us.

It showcases women who are not only strong, but are people:

It teaches us our own importance:

It teaches us that everyone (and everything) is beautiful:

It teaches us to stand up for what we know is right:

It teaches us that violence is not the answer:

It teaches us the value of true companionship:

It shows us the value of true love:

It identifies the real problems in society, and challenges them:

And it teaches us that there is always someone to believe in:

These are just a few of the MANY references in Doctor Who. In fifty years, Doctor Who has been inspiring the masses. It's no longer simply a British TV show: it is a 50 year long inspirational speech.

Doctor Who has helped me more than any therapist. It reminds me to savor the little things, that life goes on, and to, most of all, have hope and carry on.

I'll leave you with one of the most meaningful quotes of the New Era of Doctor Who, and one of my absolute favorites. This show has unimaginable beauty and life. It makes it one of the greatest shows of all time, not merely just a Sci-Fi show.

"The way I see it, life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

-The Eleventh Doctor.

If we all remembered these life lessons every day, I honestly believe we would look at life in a new, and brighter, way.