A Look at Netflix's Derry Girls

Welcome To Our Lady Immaculate College

Netflix's new show set in 1990's Derry Ireland is utterly brilliant.

1252
Welcome To Our Lady Immaculate College
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFmFuXH0IRY

The Cranberries - Dreamswww.youtube.com

Netflix's new original show (even though, anything foreign that says "Netflix Original" is actually a show from another country that Netflix bought the syndication rights to, so it not really an original at all) "Derry Girls" is nothing short of brilliant!

The premiere season is an easily digestible six episodes, each running just shy of 30 minutes. And honestly, that is not enough! My girlfriend and I decided to check it out and only planned on watching the first episode before going to bed. But the show had us laughing our asses off from the onset. We ended up trucking through the six episodes, desperately wishing for more.

Thankfully, the show has already finished filming its second season in Ireland. We'll just have to wait for it to air on Ireland's Channel 4 before Netflix does anything with it, as they have yet to confirm if they are doing so.

Erin, Orla, James, Clare, Michellehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYm_tqO9nI

But if you have three hours and need a new show, absolutely give "Derry Girls" a viewing!

The show opens to The Cranberries "Dreams" which couldn't be more appropriate as the show takes place during the Troubles, a time of political unrest in Ireland that resolved in 1998. With the backdrop set, the show is a coming of age story that centers on Erin and her cousin Orla, and their friends Clare, Michelle and her English cousin James. With these outsiders at the helm of the plot, hijinx and hilarity ensure.

It takes some getting used to at first, so be sure to have the subtitles on; they speak incredibly fast and use many slangs that would more likely than not go over many American viewer's heads (or maybe I'm just uncultured, so they went over mine). The show is briskly paced, so if you blink you might miss something... so don't blink!

The gang in the premiere episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYm_tqO9nI

It's immensely clever, the cast its picture perfect, and the show subtle brings the backdrop of the political turmoil back into the forefront at various times in the latter three episodes. And unlike many shows, the show feels authentic in its time period. Nothing is overtly jumping at the viewer saying "hey, we take place in the '90's." It just feels natural in place.

Possible the funniest episode, Episode 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFmFuXH0IRY

The five young leads are mesmerizing to watch. They all play off each other as if the show has been on for years. The chemistry is great, and there isn't a weak link within the cast. James, being the only Englishmen on the show, brings about a constant, reoccurring joke that never gets old. The Irish hate the British, and despite James being very sweet to everyone, they rip him apart at every chance they get.

The show is possibly one of the funniest shows to come out within recent years. It's laugh after laugh!

Also from Episode 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFmFuXH0IRY

The brilliance comes from show creator and writer of all six episodes Lisa McGee., whose previous credits include the British "Being Human" and 'The White Queen." I think the show is as strong as it is, given that she is the sole writer. If you look at the quality of television shows, it seems to be those with smaller writing staffs tend to have stronger material.

"Derry Girls" is a prime example of this approach. With one writer, the show is crisp and irreverent in the greatest way. There seems to be a joy in watching television shows that focus on horrible people, and these girls have their moments. But they are also the underdogs more often than not. We watch they struggle and attempts to fit in and find themselves, all sprinkled with constant humor.

The very first example of this is in the pilot's opening; Erin wants to wear a denim jacket to school, rather than her required uniform blazer. She says this is the year she will show her individuality. her mother says no and sends her to school in her blazer. As she walks to school, we see Clare, waiting in a denim jacket. She sees Erin isn't wearing her's and exclaims "I thought we were going to be individuals this year." Erin says how her mother wouldn't let her to which Clara replies "Well, I'm not being individual on my own" (McGee).

Seriously, give this show a view, it might be your latest obsession. I for one am a wee bit obsessed now.

The Premier Episode of Derry Girlshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYm_tqO9nI

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7120662/