5 Netflix Shows That You Haven't Watched Yet

If you're looking for shows to binge watch on Netflix, here's the perfect list.

23
Wikimedia

Do you ever find yourself searching for a new show to binge watch on Netflix? Have you already gone through “Breaking Bad,” “The Office” and “Orange is the New Black” and need something new? Then this article is perfect for you.

1."Bob's Burgers"

This show is absolutely hilarious. “Bob’s Burgers” is about a guy named Bob who owns a (not particularly successful) burger joint that he runs with his family with whom he lives above the store. I don’t normally like adult TV cartoon shows (Family Guy, Archer, Futurama, etc.) but "Bob’s Burgers" is different. The humor is actually good and not focused on being lewd. I definitely recommend "Bob's Burgers" if you need a break from the heavy or violent dramas and are craving something more light-hearted.

2. "Skins"

“Skins” (U.K.) is probably one of my favorite shows of all time. It’s a British comedy drama. A U.S. MTV version was made after the U.K. series became really popular but it was absolutely terrible and no one watched it, so it was cancelled after the first season. "Skins" really only works because of its mature content. It follows the lives of a group of teenagers and includes a bunch of insane partying and drug abuse as well as a bunch of identity crisis issues: depression, eating disorders, sexuality, bullying, etc. Each episode generally focuses on one specific character and his or her problems. After about two seasons, they switch out the “generation” (group of teenagers) for a new one except for the last season of the show, which they focus on three past character favorites. The colorful characters, interesting storylines, great music and the development of each character make the series extremely impressive. The character development of each of the characters makes you attached to them and your heart races when they take on controversial topics such as drug use and mental illness. Although the show is at times, overly dramatic, it portrays some of the best and worst points in life for anyone. We see life get increasingly worse and we see the characters find themselves in some major crap, but they pull through (most of the time). The show is pretty racy (one reason for this is that television rating systems are different in the U.K. than in the U.S.), but it is definitely a show worth watching. It leaves you constantly wanting more after each episode and will take you on an emotional roller coaster.

3. "Nurse Jackie"

This show is kind of insane, but also really good. It’s about a nurse who works in the emergency room of a hospital and battles drug addiction. She steals pills from the hospital and ultimately ends up destroying her life and the relationships she has with the people around her because she uses and manipulates them to feed her addiction, including (but definitely not limited to) cheating on her husband to sleep with the hospital’s pharmacist. Despite how phenomenal she is at her job, her personal life is like watching a gruesome car accident; you know that it isn’t going to end well for anyone, yet you can’t stop watching. With excellent writing and strong acting, you feel as though you’re in a constant state of conflict. On one hand, you want to see Jackie get punished for what she’s done and for how she’s treated everyone around her. On the other hand, you want to like her and see her happy and receiving the treatment she needs. But that can’t happen because that would probably end the show. So we let her continue down her dark, tortuous path and destroy her relationships with the people she loves and cares about.

4. "iZombie"

If you love "Veronica Mars" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," you’ll love this sister series. After attending a party that turns into a zombie-feeding frenzy, medical resident Liv Moore ends up becoming a part of the living dead. In order to hide her zombie lifestyle and pass as a human, Liv begins to work in the coroner’s office, secretly eating the brains of the delivered corpses. She soon realizes, however, that she takes on the memories and personality of the person whose brains she consumes. As a result, she poses as a psychic and works with a detective to help solve murder cases. This quirky and funny show may be far from the typical zombie TV show (if you’re looking for another "Walking Dead," this is not your show) but will definitely be a nice combination of morbid humor, drama and action. My only critique is that since it is a CW show, it tends to fall into a stereotypical teen romance at times, taking away from some of the value of the show.

5. "Freaks and Geeks"

This '80s TV show is a coming-of-age story of regular freaks and geeks at Michigan High School. Revolving around the lives of siblings Lindsay (Linda Cardellini) and Sam Weir (John Daley), the show includes rebellion, torment and even some triumphs from many famous actors, such as James Franco and Seth Rogen in their teens and early 20s. Jolted from her grandmother’s death, Lindsay’s status as a Mathlete champion is losing its appeal and she slowly starts to become more attracted to the friendly yet dangerous Daniel (James Franco) and his group of burnouts. This quirky comedy-drama definitely stands out as a real pleasure among the rest of the shows on Netflix. If you like “The Breakfast Club,” you should definitely check out this show. The characters are realistic, but they’re still lovable without being boring. The series is extremely funny, and it’s much better than the popular teen dramas on TV right now.