10 Takeaways From '13 Reasons Why'

10 Takeaways From '13 Reasons Why'

The sun will rise somewhere in the world again.

212
10 Takeaways From '13 Reasons Why'
Vimeo

Many people question "13 Reasons Why" as a show in general. Some don't want to watch it for their own respective reasons. Others can't get enough of it. Either way, the show provides a strong message that everyone needs to hear. These are ten ideas from "13 Reasons Why". Don't worry, there are no spoilers!

1. Sensitivity

"13 Reasons Why" is without a doubt a sensitive show. There's a reason for the content warning at the start of season two. Hard topics like suicide, sexual assault, and gun violence can really hit people hard. Though, it's important for us to address and understand these sensitive topics. The world is not a safe place by any means. There will be many instances in life where we have to be pessimistic and be ready for anything no matter how triggering or sensitive it may be.

2. Hierarchy

Without a doubt, the world runs on a ranking system based on power. Climbing the ranks is never easy, and a vast majority of the population do not have the means to even attempt to do so. The higher or lower you climb the ladder, the easier it is to distinguish the good and the bad. When we're in a position of power over others, what do we do with it? When we're in the middle, how do we move on the ladder?

3. Information

We've seen this time and time again how information can change everything. "13 Reasons Why" is all about information. Why did Hannah do it? Those answers lead to more and more questions, and some of those answers may not be so simple. What then? How do we find those answers? That's where information comes into play. The information provides critical insight into the most crucial situations and causes a riot when it's wrong.

4. Courage

Most of us say we have it, but courage is only demonstrated during the toughest moments. How do we do what is right at the expense of our own safety? It's a crazy decision. Being brave could mean moving forward anyway. Weighing the options, the consequences, the circumstances, and every other factor are all pieces of what defines us as humans. At the end of the day, if we do not step up, then the enemy will never step down.

5. Justice

Who determines what's right and wrong? At the global level, it's really about the perspective of those in power because they are the ones who can act upon it. These determinations can ultimately affect others and their perspective on what's right and wrong. Since the beginning of time, the idea of what is right and what is wrong has shaped history. Justice holds the people who commit these wrongdoings accountable for their actions. The next question is how. How do you hold these people accountable?

6. Trust

One of the most scarce ideas in the world. I've gone over trust time and time again, and it's one of the most intricate. How do you know you can trust someone? How do you know when someone trusts you? Trust is also power as well as a curse. When we have trust, it is up to us how we use it.

7. Regret

Every decision can come at a cost. Consequences are very real, and they can have drastic effects going forward. Though consequences aren't everything, it's foolish to not consider them. Recognizing and living through the consequences can leave us with a lot of regrets and make us wish we didn't make those decisions. We've all done it. Regret is inevitable. How we handle regret also defines us.

8. Tactics

A strategy is key to many games, and life is no exception. "13 Reasons Why" was a strong and strategic game of information and emotion. How do we get the outcomes we desire? Through tactics and strategy that led to information. Information led to a fierce court case which required even more information.

9. Memory

The past is powerful. It's full of information, emotions, and so much more. What happens when we forget the past? We lose access to another great power which puts us at a massive disadvantage in the game of life. This game can hang by a thread, and when we're missing a cloth, it could cost us dearly. Catching up with the rest costs us time and resources, so it's crucial to be grateful for what we have.

10. The Sun

No matter how hard or great life gets, it will continue. The sun will rise somewhere in the world again. After everything that has happened, how do we handle life going forward? This is one of the many character defining questions. Accepting what has happened and being able to find peace can be extremely difficult for all of us. Life isn't perfect, and moving on from our darkest moments is what makes us successful.