Netflix's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events': Review

Despite warnings to "look away", this is one series where you should look at.

26
movie news guide

Netflix's adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events opens in a title sequence in which the viewer is warned to "look away," as the tales of the are sure to "wreck your evening, your whole life and your day." Patrick Warburton's haunted Lemony Snicket also tries to warn you away. Contrary to their advice, I would tell you to push on, as the series is more than worth a watch.

(movie news guide)

And, while the result was much further from the 2004 movie based on the same books, it's as visually stunning as I could've hoped for. Each shot feels like a much darker Wes Anderson movie, with gorgeous sets, almost irritatingly perfect colors, and costumes to match.

(A Series of Unfortunate Events)

Warburton's Lemony Snicket appears frequently throughout, haunted by his research into the lives of the Boudelaire orphans, and even in the last episode, continues to warn the reader that it is not too late to stop watching. His constant warnings and interjections with a definition add to the well-worn narrator that the audience comes to love, and give a reminder of what it was like to be read to as a child.

(A Series of Unfortunate Events)

The Sunny, Klaus, and Violet are written perfectly, with a hint of childlike reasoning, but far more intelligent than the adults. Viewers won't forget that they are children, yet will respect them as adults. Violet's penchant for inventing and Klaus's affinity for books make them relatable to children of their age. Sunny's subtitles and lack of communication fit in surprisingly well, making the infant more than just a plot device.

(ASoUE)

Unsurprisingly, however, it's Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf that steals the show. Despite some skepticism at his initial announcement in the role, it seems as if he was made to play the villainous distant relative. Between his numerous disguises, whether as high pitched and heavily accented lab assistant Stefano, the bearded captain with the peg leg, Captain Sham, or the bank consultant, Count Olaf consistently brings humor to his evil deeds.

(ASoUE)

A stellar cast, fantastic character quirks, and solid script definitely make the Netflix adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events worth a watch.