My Top 10 Netflix Recommendations: November 2019

Here are the top ten movies I strongly recommend to all subscribers of Netflix

35

Having trouble to finding interesting films or television shows on Netflix. Well, as an avid movie watcher, I have felt compelled to start helping people out by recommending films that for people who are in need for something to watch with your friends on a movie night. For each month, I will compile a list of films I strongly recommend to everyone, and my goal is try my best list films that stray outside of the mainstream category such as Pixar, Disney, and your average summer blockbuster.

Black Hawk Down (2001)

Film Stills Database

A gritty account on the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu, a failed mission in which the U.S Rangers dropped into the streets of Somalia to capture ruthless warlord, only to severe losses when their Black Hawk helicopters are unexpectedly shot down. It is a realistic portrayal of the horrors of active combat and a testament to the sacrifices that come both physically and emotionally in the name of active duty.

The Place Beyond The Pines (2012)

Films Stills Database

Ryan Gosling plays a motorcyclist who crosses paths with his ex-girlfriend to find out he has a child with her. In desperate attempt to redeem himself, he goes on a bank robbing spree to provide for her financially. When one robbery goes wrong when he crosses paths with a local cop (Bradley Cooper), the consequences unleash repercussions that affect both his son and the cop's son fifteen years later.

Philadelphia (1993)

Film Stills Database

Tom Hanks plays Andrew Beckett, a gay man working at a Philadelphia law firm who is tested positive for AIDS, a dilemma that results him getting fired. In an effort to seek justice, he must enlist a lawyer Joe Miller (Denzel Washington) to defend him a lawsuit against the firm for wrongful termination. It is touching and thought-provoking tale about prejudice in the workforce, a hot-button social issue that still runs in our society today. Tissues may be needed.

District 9 (2009)

Set in the not-so-distant future, extraterrestrials have arrived on Earth, only to be terrorized by the U.S army who sees them as a threat. With the otherworldly creatures have taken refuge in the slums of South Africa. When a scientist (Sharlto Copley) contains a strange virus that morphs him into a mysterious alien-human hybrid, he must hide out from the army to defend himself from the army who are set out to eliminate both him and the alien refugees. Presented in a documentary-style filmmaking, this film showcases a gritty and authentic account of the war between humans and extraterrestrials.

22 July (2018)

Film Stills Database

Directed by Paul Greengrass, this films is a retelling of the 2011 Norway terrorists attacks that left claimed the lives of 77 people. The story told through both the eyes of the right-wing terrorist Anders Behring Breivik and the teenagers who are at the summer camp in Oslo when Breivik opened fire. It is not an easy one to sit through, it is deeply affecting and provides a strong visceral impact in its portray of tragedy and political extremism.

Taxi Driver (1976)

Robert De Niro gives a phenomenal performance as Travis Bickle, a Vietnam war veteran who takes a job at a New York cab driver. Upon meeting a young girl who is employed under prostitution, he finds himself driven to madness as he vows to seek vengeance against the men who wronged her.

Burn After Reading (2008)

Film Stills Database

A dark comedy directed by the Coen Brothers, the film follows an CIA operative (John Malkovich) who carelessly loses a CD full of confidential data. This leads to it being found in the hands of some gym employees who attempt to sell for profit but their foolishness pulls them into a web of unexpected consequences. Featuring solid performances by George Clooney, Frances McDormand, and Brad Pitt, this movie represents the Coen Brothers in one of their finest forms.

American Psycho (2000)

Film Stills Database

Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) is a Wall Street investor who moonlights as a serial killer, unknown by his close companions and his co-workers. Bale gives an idiosyncratic performance as a man who descends into madness that plays a factor into one of the most twisted and enigmatic endings in history.

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Film Stills Database

Mia Farrow plays the title character who becomes pregnant, a pleasant surprise that starts off as an opportunity to start a family but soon becomes a nightmare when a sudden change in her husband and neighbors' behavior leads her to believe they have some sinister intentions for her and her unborn child.

Gerald's Game (2017)

Film Stills Database

Based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King, this movie follows Jessie (Carla Gugino) as she goes on vacation with her husband (Bruce Greenwood). As part of a sex game, he ties up to a bed, only to die with a surprise heart attack. However, this becomes only the beginning of her nightmare as he begins to experience strange hallucinations that lead her to question her sanity.