10 Netflix Documentaries You MUST Watch

10 Netflix Documentaries You MUST Watch

Bored of watching the same old movies and tv shows, try out these documentaries

335
10 Netflix Documentaries You MUST Watch
pixabay.com

Often times when you’re scrolling through Netflix, you look past the documentary section. Netflix has hundreds and hundreds of different documentaries on any topic you can think of. I’m a huge fan of documentaries, maybe that makes me a nerd, but Netflix’s documentary series is worth looking through. If you aren’t sure where to start looking, here’s a list of some of my favorite documentaries or documentary series I have seen!

1. The Keepers

The Keepers is a documentary series that explores the unsolved murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik who taught at Baltimore's Archbishop Keough High School. Her former students investigate their belief, that there was a cover-up by authorities after Cesnik was found. It’s an intense series and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Each episode has more twists and turns that make your stomach churn! If you’re into suspense and mystery definitely check this series out!

2. Last Chance U

Last Chance is another documentary series and this follows a football program at East Mississippi Community College. In the title it refers to what the whole series is about, the fact that many of the players recruited to play at EMCC because they have been removed from Division I rosters due to academic or disciplinary issues, and playing at the junior level college is their "last chance" to prove themselves and return to Division I. As you watch through the two seasons you start to really root for the players and want them to do the best they can! If you enjoy sports and football this a documentary you should check out! Be warned the coach curses too many time to count!

3. 13th

13th was an Academy Award Best Documentary Feature nominee at the 89th Academy Awards and has been given fantastic reviews from film critics. 13th is an eye-opening documentary that explores the intersection of race, justice and mass incarceration in the United States. The title refers to the 13th amendment of the United States Constitution that freed slaves and prohibited slavery. I would recommend this documentary to anyone, it provides the audience with detailed information and really shocks anyone who isn’t familiar with this topic!

4. The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson

Marsha P. Johnson was an African American gay liberation activist, and drag queen. Johnson was known as an outspoken advocate for gay rights, Johnson was one of the faces of the Stonewall riots in 1969. The documentary follows a trans woman, Victoria Cruz of the Anti-Violence Project. Cruz investigates Johnson’s murder and seeks justice for the other trans women of color who’ve been murdered. The documentary provides the audience with never before seen footage and interviews! If you’re interested in the LGBTQ community or just looking for a moving documentary this is the one to watch!

5. Hot Girls Wanted

Hot Girls Wanted is an American documentary on young adult pornography. Don’t be alarmed by the description of the documentary, it’s one of the most educational documentaries out there! The film follows the lives of several 18- and 19-year-old pornographic actresses and what they have to go through. Most of the young women were promised success and money, but often times they don’t get that. In the documentary, it provides the dark side of the industry and the paths that these young women take as they pursue their desired profession. This documentary isn’t for everyone but it’s one of the most informative ones out there on the topic!

6. She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry

She's Beautiful When She’s Angry is about some of the women who were apart of the second wave of the feminist movement. During the documentary, you see the women in the movement talk about the underrepresentation of women in power during that time, and how the media limited the portrayal of what it means to be a powerful woman. This documentary is all about women empowerment and it’s fantastic! The footage captures the challenges and changes that these women called for! It makes you feel damn proud to be a woman!

7. Daughters of Destiny

Daughters of Destiny is a documentary series that follows a group of rural India’s most disadvantaged children over the course of seven years. The film goes into the exploration of the children’s lives, global poverty, opportunity, and the meaning and purpose that all humans desire in life. Daughters of Destiny provides hope in situations where it wouldn’t seem possible. One of the most heartfelt documentary series!

8. The Champions

Fighting Dogs that were rescued from Michael Vick’s dogfighting ring are given a second chance of living their life. During the film, it follows the dogs and where they are now in life, some in homes others still in rehabilitation centers. The audience is able to see the dog’s transformations and their growth from when they were rescued! Make sure you have the tissues close, it’s a tearjerker for all the dog lovers!

9. Trophy Kids

Trophy Kids shows the lives of children with parents who are overbearing in their designated sport. It follows kids of all different sports and how their parents affect their desire for the sport they once loved! It’s a different dynamic to watch how their children react to their parents behaving the way they do! It’s an interesting documentary if you’re interested in sports!

10. Mind of A Rampage Killer

If you ever thought how could someone kill another human being, then this is the documentary for you. In Mind of a Rampage Killer, it goes into deep research and information about certain crimes and serial killers and tries to explain to the audience how the killers view the world! If anyone is interested in a murder or crime documentary this would be one of my top choices!