Netflix: A Curse or a Blessing?

Netflix: A Curse or a Blessing?

Enjoy Netflix, just be careful.

211
Netflix: A Curse or a Blessing?
Fusion

Netflix is seen today as an icon for all ages. By having the ability to watch a television series that is not typically seen on the usual programs today is part of the reason why Netflix has become so popular. However, this popular app can often be seen as a distraction to individuals like social media, electronics or video games.

As a college student attempting to become a Biology Major, I have relied on Netflix as an oasis from my stress. By watching comedies like "Blue Mountain State," I am able to escape the constant struggle from assignments. On the other hand, Netflix connects me emotionally to cast members as I watch shows like the infamous "Grey's Anatomy," In either situation, I feel like I have become a part of the show as I continue to watch episode after episode even if tears are running down my face after realizing some of my favorite characters have been killed off the shows.

A big problem that I have with Netflix has to do with the 15 or so seconds the program provides after you have finished an episode. We all know well that this is definitely not enough time for an individual to decide whether or not another episode should be watched. In my specific experiences with this 15-second countdown, I honestly use it to grab more snacks as I sit in my not so comfortable college bed.

It almost seems as if Netflix is teasing viewers to watch another episode no matter if it may be three in the morning. While this is truly a smart business approach to the television world, it constantly traps me into finishing a season of a show in a single day.

Now the question appears: is Netflix a blessing or a curse? In my opinion, while the app may force me to stay up too late watching television, the overall joy I gain from certain shows outweighs this lack of sleep. I think many people would agree with me that Netflix can even connect people. This connection does not have to be seen as a sexual, as people have begun to rapidly apply the app to the social concept called "Netflix and Chill."

I still cannot even comprehend how this became a popular saying in our society, but if we are able to move past the ridiculous concept people could communicate by sharing their thoughts on the specific show they could be watching. By using Netflix as a form of communication, we can begin to escape the constant struggle of only electronically communicating through texting, email or other sources of messaging.

Other people may have different views about Netflix, but I truly believe that the program can be seen as a blessing as it provides me with happiness and helps me take a break from challenges I may be having specifically as a college student. As I continue to use the app, I think I should create a schedule that would allow me to watch my shows at appropriate times rather than staying up to simply finish episodes.

To escape the possibility of seeing Netflix as a curse, I would suggest that one should simply have the proper self-control to stop watching even when the show could be leaving you with a cliffhanger. We can always watch that episode when there is free time, rather than missing out on the important events in our lives.