Can My Dream College Crush My Dream Job?

Is it okay to not want to go to college? What if I want to pursue something completely different? I don't want to go to college, what next? I am being forced to go to college, but it is not what I want.

15
College Candy

You know when you find something you want to do for the rest of your life and you are so excited and start laying out the steps you need to reach that goal? How many of those goals require a college degree? Don’t get me wrong, I love learning, I love college, but it would be nice to have a dream where I do not NEED a college degree.

I found that dream. Granted, it was a push from my roommate, but it was a dream none the less. Is it a conventional dream? No. I want to make things for a living, and I understand the level of difficulty and the quantity of work required. I can already tell you stories of late nights and early mornings (that are not college related!) because I am constantly creating something. I want to make my career out of creating. I want to be running an Etsy store, participating in craft fairs, potentially even teaching people how to craft. I also want others pursue their non-conventional dream.

BUT society has decided that I have to go to college and get an education. Right now as an English major, I am loving it, but at the same time, it is hard to want to continue pursing education when I know that what I really want to do, deep down, does not require a formal education. Do not get me wrong, I love my school, I love my friends here, the classes I take, the adventures I go on, but the struggle when I feel as though my education prevents me from pursing my dream is awful. I am beyond happy to be in college. I attend a great school, and I am receiving a great education, but it is not necessarily what I want.

I am going to finish my college degree and even go on to get my masters. If your dream is to get a college degree and to move onto a “normal” job, that is great. You will love college. You should be proud of what you are accomplishing, be it college or something less traditional. College is difficult, if you are attending, or have attended, I am sure you understand. You have probably watch others fall behind, maybe you are that person that fell behind. But there is hope for the people who don’t want to go to college, or who don’t want to follow a conventional education path. You need to discover the path that works for you, and maybe it is college, or maybe not. Maybe you have more than one dream. I do. I am going to be the world's craftiest librarian!

Do you think it is okay for people to pursue a career that does not require a college degree? Do you wish you were doing something else with your life right now?