Kevin Durant Gives The Cavs An Absolute Beatdown, And Other Moments From The NBA Finals
Professional

Game-by-game analysis of the 2018 NBA Finals featuring the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors.

40
Instagram @stephenasmith

The NBA Finals are here once again and for the fourth consecutive year the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors face off to see who'll win the championship. While this is the first time in NBA history two teams have met four times in a row for the NBA Finals, this may be the last time considering LeBron James' upcoming free agency which may pull him away from the Cavaliers. Reputations, legacies and some players' futures are on the line. Below you'll find my game-by-game analysis of this year's NBA Finals.

Game 1

Cavs 114 - Warriors 124

This game made me hopeful that Cleveland can actually make this series interesting, which essentially means avoiding a sweep at this point in time. The Cavs looked great in the first half, with impressive performances from the entire team. At the half the game was tied, but everyone knows the Warriors are a 3rd Quarter team and came out strong outscoring Cleveland 22-28 and taking over the lead. I've always said for the Cavaliers to win during the playoffs they just need one other player to have a good game in order to win considering LeBron has averaged over 30 points in the playoffs this year (29 points during his career so far). But considering the Warriors are so lethal, I'd say at least two other Cavs players have to perform. Unless LeBron drops a historic, NBA playoffs record 51 points as he did tonight. For the Warriors, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant continue to quietly dominate and share the spotlight scoring 29, 24 and 26 points respectively.

The end of the game, however, featured a scenario which I hope is not indicative of the entire series. Multiple missed calls by the referees including a personal foul and a controversial reversed blocking foul against LeBron James. There are some complications, however, as the foul which was originally a blocking foul against Kevin Durant was open for review. NBA officials have been able to review block or charge foul calls in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter or during overtime since the 2012-13 season. The general conception during and post game was that the referees could not review charging/blocking fouls unless players were in the restricted area within the paint. George Hill and JR Smith stole the show when Hill missed the game-winning free throw which was rebounded by Smith in which he proceeds to dribble out the clock. Whether he actually knew the game was tied or not, the level of incompetence from Hill, Smith and Coach Tyron Lue who could have called a timeout was astounding and my be indicative of the team this entire season.

Game 2

Cavs 103 - Warriors 122

Comparatively, this game was a beat down for the Cavs. In their defense, it's difficult to win when the world's best shooter goes off for 33 points at 42% from the field and makes an NBA Finals record nine 3's. LeBron continues to do what LeBron does scoring 29 points off of 50% from the field. However, compared to his previous, historic game, a large majority of his points came from right near the basket as opposed from deep or mid-range. The key to success in this instance appeared to be running the pick-and-roll to switch LeBron onto a weaker defender such as Steph or Kevon Looney so he could drive to the basket. Once again, Kevin Love puts up an impressive stat line scoring 22 points on 38%. It was a similar story for Kevin Durant. Since the beginning of this series he's played incredibly efficiently, avoiding the ISO style of play he was stuck in during the Western Conference Finals. He scored 26 points on 71% from the field and knocking down two of his three three-point attempts. He's proven he can be dominant even if he isn't the star of the show and is certainly in contention for Finals MVP if he continues at this pace. Hopefully the Cavs can take Game 3 at home and bring this series within reach or, for the fans sake, avoid a sweep.

Game 3

Cavs 102 -Warriors 110

Similarly to Game 1, this one was right within the Cavs reach. Instead of a historic performance from LeBron, the competitiveness came mostly from lackluster performances from Steph Curry and Klay Thompson who scored a combined 21 points. The real star of the show, however, was Kevin Durant who lead the Warriors in rebounds, shooting percentage and points with 43. Coming off a record-breaking nine threes from Steph, it was curious how he followed it up shooting 1-10 from beyond the arc this game. Nevertheless, Kevin Durant pulled the slack and made six of his nine three-point attempts all while shooting 65% from the field and making all seven of his free throw attempts.

It appears the storyline for the Cavs changed just slightly with turnaround performances from Rodney Hood and JR Smith. I'm continually surprised by Tyron Lue's decision to not play Kyle Korver more, however. He's by far the best shooter on the roster and his shooting was the primary reason why they wanted him from the Atlanta Hawks in the first place. LeBron's passing ability should be enough alone to get Korver some open shots, as LeBron has been able to feed the ball to the rest of his starting five, who just haven't been performaing to their level. Per 36 minutes this playoffs, Korver has averaged 13 points off of a 41% both from three and from the field in general. Kevin Love continues to produce, coming up with a double double with 20 points and 13 rebounds. If Kevin Durant didn't step up and absolutely take over the game. Another frustrating loss for the Cavaliers which now puts them in a position for elimination.

Game 4

Cavs 85 - Warriors 108

This was just an absolute beatdown, no other way to say it. Steph Curry bounced back to score 37 points on 44% shooting and making all six of his free throw attempts. Kevin Durant continued produced another MVP-worthy game scoring 20 points making 41% of his shots and leading the Warriors in assists and rebounds with 12 and 10 to complete a triple double. In doing so, he earned his second straight Finals MVP award. Steph Curry has yet to earn the accolade, which was awarded to Andre Iguodala when the Warriors won in 2015, even though it appeared Durant was basically trying to give it to him as he was feeding him the ball through most of the second half.

LeBron had slightly less of an impressive game by comparative standards to his other games this postseason, but still managed to put up 23 points on 53% shooting, seven rebounds and eight assists. He continued to lead his team in minutes with 41 but checked out with four minutes to go in the 4th for what many think will be his last time in a Cleveland jersey. Regardless, he showed that his best years are not behind him as he put on one of the greatest postseason performances of his career. He can opt out of his contract for this upcoming season, which means LeBron recruiting season is upon us.

As for the Warriors, Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant's contract will both expire at the end of the 2018-2019 season so it appears the Warrior dynasty will remain for at least one more season. As for LeBron, he's at a point in his career where getting another ring is definitely in the question but it wouldn't be out of the question if he chooses to symbolically pass the torch to the younger generation.