Natural Summertime Snacks From Your Backyard

Eat before you mow!

31
Growing Up Herbal

As school lets out, more and more of us will be galloping home or to otherwise important destinations, with a fresh penchant for freedom and prepared to make the most of summertime's few blessed months. There will come a time when you say to yourself, "Wow, it really is the little things that make this life perfect!" as you lounge in your backyard and watch the clouds with a little sibling or pet at your side.

Believe it or not, it's likely that you are laying upon a wealth of delicious edible plants as you do this! The little things to enjoy include the many common plants that you can use to spruce up a salad or eat plain when you're just too lazy to go to the kitchen for a snack. Healthy and abundant, these plants grow all over the place and are just waiting for you to enjoy them. Available now anywhere that sells quality nature.

Important disclaimer: It is vital before eating any natural plant that you find out whether it has been previously sprayed with chemicals, and to check how close it is to roads or other dirty places. Only eat clean, fresh plants!

Wild Violets

Delicate and pretty, wild violets are sure to have caught your eye before now as they peep through healthy patches of grass in a fair quantity. They are rich in Vitamin A and C (more Vitamin C per weight than oranges!) and add a sweet spice to any salad or dessert. While the flowers are more tasty, the leaves are equally rich in nutrients and work well in foods as well.

If you want to get fancy, there are many ways in which violets can be used to heighten your personal health. Have pesky insomnia? Violet tea has been known to help cure it. They also stimulate the lymphatic system to rid your body of any toxins built up over the long winter. That's not all, they also help strengthen the immune system and work as a great anti-inflammatory agent. Wild violets can be made into jellies, vinegar, poultices, syrups, teas and even candy, all with lovely results.

Be careful not to confuse Wild Violets for African Violets (as shown below) as African violets, if ingested, can make one violently ill.

Your body will thank you for treating it to some wild violets instead.

Japanese Honeysuckle

The wild or Japanese honeysuckle is one of those great plants that describe itself in its name. Besides just being delicious, sweet and beautiful, the Japanese honeysuckle has plenty of health uses to be had. These include the lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol, upper respiratory tract infections, colds, arthritis and the list goes on! The most easily edible portion is the flower, and the "honey" taste comes from the narrow part of the petals!

Creeping Charlie

This little purple-blue flowering ground cover can be found in any shady portion of your garden or lawn. The flowers provide a distinct, sweet flavor when eaten raw (they are seriously addicting!), and the leaves (raw or cooked) give an aromatic tang to whatever they're added to.

Give them a try for a little snack next time you see Charlie creeping into your lawn!

Dandelion

A classic "weed" that torments golf course tenders and average suburban landscapers alike is tasty and nutritious from its root to its bloom. The leaves can be harvested at any time in their growth process, and if the slightly bitter taste is too much for you, cooking them into a stir fry or soup can be a creative and healthy choice. The bright yellow blossom tastes delicious straight from the stem, or breaded or fried. Even the root can be dried, roasted and used as a great alternative to coffee!

Clover

Not just good for an old-fashioned four-leaf clover hunt, these delicious and versatile plants are wonderful for eating! The flowers are immensely important for honeybees survival, and are as sweet as expected when eaten solo, dried for tea or in a salad. A small handful of leaves give a good punch to any salad or other dish whether cooked or raw.

Lamb's Quarters

The tender shoots and young leaves of Lamb's Quarters plant are a delightful addition to any salad, sautéed or steamed and generally used in any recipe that calls for spinach as a more nutritious alternative. The seeds are similar to quinoa when cooked but require some diligence in harvesting enough to make a substantial meal out of as they are quite small.

Plantain

Surely you've come across this common lawn plant and wondered why on earth its resting in between leaves and grass that look nothing like it. Plantain (not to be confused with the tropical fruit that resembles a banana) is a potent medicinal plant that can work wonders on burns, stings, wounds or rashes when cut up and applied under a bandage. It also is fantastically chock full of vitamins and is tasty when eaten raw or cooked in many dishes requiring greens. The young leaves are the best to eat, as the older leaves can be a bit tougher and more difficult to chew, but the older ones are still edible as well and just need more cooking down time.

Blackberries/Blueberries/Strawberries, etc

If you're lucky, you'll be able to find wild berries on local properties. The berries are obviously the main goal here, but the leaves are also generally edible and great in teas.

I hope you're more inclined to appreciate the beauty and fruits around you that Mother Earth provides! Remember to always double-check that you are eating what you think you are, that it hasn't been sprayed, and eat before you mow!

Happy summer!