Natural Selection: A Modern Theological Perspective

"What happened in the unobserved past to make the present get to be this way?"

56
Plutonian Slip Astrology

Natural Selection, often confused with Darwin's Theory of Evolution, is the process by which pre-existent organisms sharing similar genotypes copulate to produce offspring in order to adapt and survive in any given environment. In contrast, evolution is the belief that everything happened by chance. Science has proven that certain astrological events occurred in the making of the Earth. As Christians, we can neither confirm nor deny these events. Genesis 1:1 tells us that "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." How he did this, we do not know for certain. While it is possible to be a Christian that believes in creationism and natural selection, it is not feasible to also hold the notion of evolution as it denies faith in an almighty creator.

The concept of natural selection was designed to answer the question, "what happened in the unobserved past to make the present get to be this way?" The simplest way to analyze this question is by looking at the ever-evolving present. First, let's take into consideration the current abuse and demand of our welfare system. Welfare was initially created to provide federal aid to persons no longer able to financially support themselves and their dependents due to uncontrollable situations such as those placed into the witness protection program and those suffering physical or mental impairments. The fallacy in this system occurred when support was issued to people with the capacity to obtain a reliable income as well as teenage mothers and young couples—often ill-motived high school dropouts—who were incapable of properly raising a child. The domino effect that shortly followed lead to the upbringing of children holding the same motives as their parents before them. These children would later attend school until they reached the legal age and drop out to either take part in illegal activity or support a teenage pregnancy before eventually seeking welfare and so on. In retrospect, this example represents the adverse effects of natural selection with the exception of rare instances where the child independently finds motivation to avoid repeating the mistakes of their parents. Rather than moving forward, these generations tend to become incarcerated for foul play or die out as a result of their circumstance (i.e. subsidized neighborhood shootings, overdose, drug deals gone wrong, etc.)

Modern examples of natural selection can also be seen in positive environments such as those raised by the working class. Perhaps one becomes the exception to the example above and makes the conscious decision to graduate high school, get a job, and earn their way of life. They are likely to instinctively pursue someone with motivations congruous to their own and together produce children that will be encouraged to seek higher education. This chain of events often leads to their children growing up and finding a partner in college or graduate school. Predictably, the next generation will be raised to hold similar values ultimately leading to a long line of intellectual kin thriving on the successes of their ancestors.

This begs the question as to whether contemporary natural selection is moving society forward or back. Contrary to popular belief, there is much reasoning supporting that neither answer is evident. With every lineage that progresses, there is seemingly another diminishing. The world needs balance to sustain it's function. Without hardships, there would be no such thing as accomplishment. In contrast to the old-world perspective on natural selection that suggested perfection would one day be obtained through all breeds of life, it appears that the world's complexities are precisely what enables a purposeful life.

Why must we be burdened by the mystery of how life and all existence came to be? Perhaps it was God's intent to leave certain things to the imagination with the intentions of providing his people substance to discuss and debate several thousands of years later. It was not to manipulate or test his people's faith, but to strengthen it. Everyone must face hurdles in order to find enlightenment and grow in their beliefs. Without the essence of doubt, there are no opportunities to exercise our privilege of free will.