Her Hair Shouldn't Affect Her Work

If Employees Don't Like Her Hair, Too Bad, Love Her Hustle

A law shouldn't have to get rid of hair discrimination.

71

Have you ever noticed why black girls have braids, locs, bantu knots or weaves? If you don't know, its another way to put away their natural hair. Yes, everyone, there is a time that black girls get tired of having to twist up their hair, take off one day at work just to deep condition their hair. Trust me, natural hair is a second job. Yet, for some reason, when black girls put away their hair, it's another problem. When it comes to the professional side, weaves, locs, braids are not the proper business etiquette. When it comes to black girls and their hair, they don't win, because people look at their image and not their dedication.

This problem has gotten very far, to the point where it will become a law. In New York, the city commission is creating a law for discrimination against African American hair. According to the New York Times, "The change in law applies to anyone in New York City but is aimed at remedying the disparate treatment of black people; the guidelines specifically mention the right of New Yorkers to maintain their "natural hair, treated or untreated hairstyles such as locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, fades, Afros, and/or the right to keep hair in an uncut or untrimmed state."

When I first saw this, I was very ecstatic. However, has to have a problem with African American hair gotten this bad, where someone must make a law to stop discriminating? I admit this is big step-in progress. Yet, the first step should be someone embracing African American hair, not judging it. Let's think about it, a law requires money. Why does money have to buy equality?

Seeing this law coming into action in New York City is a blessing and a step backward at the same time. When it comes to hair, it shouldn't affect someone's credentials as an employee, or their potential to get a higher position. In the New York Times, "They are based on racist standards of appearance," Ms. Malalis continued, saying that they perpetuate "racist stereotypes that say black hairstyles are unprofessional or improper."

I remember when I watched an episode of "Living Single," and one of the characters was aiming for an executive position at his job. The character wore all type of name brands, but there was one problem. It was his hair. He had short dreads, and one of his partners suggested to cut it. The character tried to change his looks until he realized that he worked hard as in individual and he refused to change his appearance.

I will never forget one moment in high school when a friend of mine straightened her hair, and one of the administrators said, "You look much more normal with that hairstyle." Anger was an understatement. I was very disappointed. People like this wouldn't support their hard work or dedication but look at appearances and determine their future. A law shouldn't have to shift a comfortable work atmosphere for African American women, it should be the progress their making by their hustle and grind. Don't look at their hair, look at their story as a hard working individual.