Nate Jones, his music, his future, and his lucky number.

Rhode Island artist Nate Jones rallies fans with new single "Safe As We Can".

92
Nate Jones Photography

About a week ago I was able to sit down with Rhode Island native Nate Jones and listen to him talk about his writing, his musical career, and the release of his new single "Safe As We Can". During the interview, Jones unveiled his goals for the future, and some of his upcoming show dates that are scattered throughout the East Coast. His biggest show takes place on August 17th in Rhode Island at Wickford on the Water, and this set is important because it will be his way of "breaking out" into the music scene as a solo performer. This event also takes place on the 50th anniversary of Woodstock, and during the set Jones will be performing a few tribute songs to it. Additionally, Jones will play some unreleased material, and show the audience a music video for his new single. Donations are recommended for Jones to continue working towards his goals, and for him to release new material next year. You can check out the full interview with Jones below, as well as his upcoming tour dates.

RO – Hey Nate thanks for making the interview.

NJ – No problem man, its my pleasure.

RO – So to start out, what's your lucky number?

NJ – 24.

RO – What makes 24 your lucky number?

NJ – Its just always been that way since I was a kid. From the bus I was on as a kid, to growing up as an adult it seems that the number follows me around a bit.

RO – Now there's a few different Nate Jones' on iTunes and Youtube, which one are you?

NJ – There are a couple Nate Jones' around the internet. It's an interesting thing when I decided to do this, but I just became so known around here as Nate Jones, and since I don't actually have a band, and I played all the backtrack on my songs myself. I just decided and felt confident sticking with Nate Jones, and pushing hard enough that I'm Nate Jones one day. That's my goal.

RO – And your newest single is Safe As We Can?

NJ – Yes, it's the only thing Ive released under my name thus far. Upon release of this song I just felt like it was time for this song to be released. I had a couple other tracks that I could've thrown out, but I felt that it was time for Safe As We Can to come to light.

RO – What other music have you released?

NJ – I was with a band called the Big Lonesome, I didn't record any of their music but I did tour with them. On Spotify I'm in this band called the Neapolitan where I think each of us gives something different and creative to the project. I'm playing the drums with them and we're thinking of putting out three more songs in the future. We don't really know what our plans are going forward. I want to start honing my craft, I know I'm talented, and I know that there are people who have done more than me. So, it comes down to me putting out more content.

RO – Do you have any future upcoming tour dates?

NJ – Yes If you go under the website Bandsintown, I'm under Nate Jones Music.

RO – So what music do you play live? Do you play original content, or cover music?

NJ – Almost entirely covers. If I feel like it, Ill throw some originals into the set, and most people will be like "oh I just didn't know this song". A gig vs a show, a show is you know my show, whereas a gig is professional. But that's my bread and butter right now.

RO – When did you start getting into music.

NJ – I played piano when I was five, but felt limited to the book. I would frequently veer from the page and the teacher would have to bring me in. I started playing guitar when I was 19, and drums 3 years ago.

RO – Where are you based?

NJ – In Warwick.

RO – Where do you want your career as a musician to go? Where do you want your 2019 into 2020 goal to be?

NJ – I don't feel ready to be on huge stages yet, not because I couldn't handle it, or do a good job, but there's something comforting knowing that I'm doing all the set-up on regular shows, rather than being kind of daunting where you have to go through a sound check and etc. I want to get to a point with my original music that people realize that I'm bringing something authentic to the table, like that there's actual thought to my work. If I don't have to work, and work at music, then that's my goal. I want to spread peace and I want to spread love, and music is that silver spoon to take the medicine with. Music is kind of communal and I want to do that on a larger scale. My number one goal would be to get that track into the Grammys but, you know. I just got some airplay in Ireland on Con Radio which was awesome.

RO – Where can listeners find your new single?

NJ – The song should be available on every music streaming platform like Apple Music, or Spotify.

RO – What makes the important show coming up, very special.

NJ – Well it's the unofficial official "I'm doing this" announcement. Its like "Hey look out for my music in the future". It's a fundraiser and it will help me release more songs and complete a project. Write and record over the winter, and release in the spring. Its also the 50th anniversary to Woodstock and I want to incorporate some songs that were played there, and then play some of my original music. I'm going to do it like VH1 storyteller where it's song-interact-song, etc. Then I'll do the first screening of the music video. It's going to be like a five dollar minimum suggested donation.

RO – What would be your superpower if you could have one

NJ – Flying, definitely flying. Because I've been skydiving, but it was more of floating/falling. But when I went hang-gliding, you're actually gliding and I thought that this must be what its like to be a bird.

RO – Is there anything else that you want to say before we conclude?

NJ – I just want to say that anyone can accomplish any of their own goals in life. You are the only person that gets in your own way, so I really want to get people to remove themselves from blocking their own path. I feel like my music can help a lot of people to do that. August 16th: Oak Hill Tavern

Tour Dates:

August 17th: The Mediator Stage

August 23rd: Linesider Brewery

August 24th: Wickford on the Water

August 25th: Wickford on the Water

August 27th: Tipsy Seagull

September 1st: Wickford on the Water

September 2nd: Wickford on the Water

September 6th: Gas Lamp Grille

September 11th: Aloft Charlotte Uptown (NC)

September 20th: Tullamore Tavern

October 18th: Grid Iron