Narcissistic Politicians Portrayed In 'House Of Cards'

Despite what critics say, Claire Underwood is not a feminist figure.

239

Feminism is perhaps one of the largest, and most controversial topics discussed in modern America. The professional world, whether it be business, education, or politics, has seen significant change as a result of several feminist movements that have occurred over the last few decades. Often referred to as “waves”, each movement focused on different aspects of female oppression, and set goals to overcome them. Martha Rampton of Pacific University, outlines some of the key goals of the feminist movements as, “more women in positions of leadership in higher education, business and politics; abortion rights; access to the pill that increased women’s control over their bodies; more expression and acceptance of female sexuality” (Rampton 1).

The Netflix series “House of Cards” features a ruthless politician, Frank Underwood, who slowly climbs his way through the political ranks with the help of his wife Claire. Frank is cynical, manipulative, and will stop at nothing to gain more power. Claire, despite being described by critics as a “Feminist Warrior” (Morcotte 1), possesses all the same qualities, and is often overlooked due to her “side-kick” natured role as Frank’s spouse. Although critics believe Claire Underwood is a symbol of female empowerment and feminism, she is in fact just a narcissistic politician protected by feminist ideology, who seeks to obtain the same power that her husband does.

In the first season of “House of Cards”, Claire’s political role is minimal. She assists her husband where needed, and seems to only work for his benefit as a politician. However, her role as an individual significantly increases in the second season of the series. As head of her own company, she represents a modern feminist member of the work force. Critic Tracie Morressy of the feminist blog “Jezebel” writes that Claire is a “Feminist Anti Hero” (Morressy 1), describing how her increased professional and political role in the show represent the growing presence of women in the American work force. However, one of the key aspects of feminism, as outlined by Martha Rampton of Pacific University, is “general and public awareness of and need for the rights of women” (Rampton 1).

When Claire cancels a pregnant employee’s health care plan, denying her access to necessary medication, only to avoid a lawsuit, she demonstrates no respect for that employee's right to medical attention during her pregnancy. To add insult to injury, she tells that employee, “I am willing to let your child whither and die inside you if that is what is required.” If Claire really was a modern representation of a feminist, she would support her employee’s decision to work and raise a child at the same time. Instead, she puts her employee at serious risk, solely to avoid the detriments of a lawsuit. Claire is only working to benefit herself, and therefore lacks the “general and public awareness” of women’s rights described by Martha Rampton. It is in this scene where Claire first demonstrates her ability, and desire, to seek personal gain, rather than support the endeavors of her husband.

Claire’s growth as a character throughout the series is easily recognizable. In the first season of the show she is rarely seen out of the house, while the second season focuses a great deal on her life in the office. Being a women, this individual growth is often associated with the ideas created during the second wave of feminism. These ideas were centered around increasing the presence of women in the workforce, so that they too can provide for their families, or themselves, if they chose to do so. Amanda Morcotte of “The Atlantic” describes the series as it transitions into season two as “channeling its cult status into an opportunity to tell rich, honest stories about women's lives without having to know to the tender sensibilities of the conservatives in the audience” (Morcotte).

The “tender stories” that Marcotte mentions are in reference to an interview with Claire where she reveals that she has had an abortion, as a result of being raped and becoming pregnant. On the surface it is hard to deny that this is an extremely sensitive and personal topic, however Morcotte failed to recognize the bigger picture. Although Claire did in fact get raped, she was not impregnated as a result. Instead, she lied about having to get an abortion in order to attract the attention of the public, and earn their trust. The motive behind this publicity stunt, was to attract attention to her manipulative politician of a husband, Frank Underwood. People long for politicians who appear as more than just robotic public figures seeking to gain power. They want to be able to connect with their leaders on a personal level. Claire lied about her abortion so her husband could gain popularity, and continue to climb the political ranks. After all, if he climbs the political ranks, then she follows right behind him.

In light of Claire’s progression as a working woman, it was only natural that in the third season of the series she became the Ambassador to the United Nations (with help from her husband who recently became president). At this point, it is undeniable that she has become a significant political figure in the show. For the perspective of the critics mentioned earlier, it is easy to argue that she is a feminist “warrior”, because she has transformed the role of First Lady into something more than just the spouse of the President. The only figure in American politics to perform a similar role transformation would be Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton. Yet, even Hillary did not assume such a prominent role while her husband was in office.

Rather, she did it several years later. When we reflect on Claire’s development as a politician, it is remarkably similar to that of her husband. She lied, manipulated, and even threatened the life of an unborn baby, in order to obtain more power. The difference between Claire and her husband, and the way they are judged by the “House of Cards” audience, is simple: her gender. Frank is called a “ruthless politician” while Claire is a “feminist warrior” when in fact their goals as individuals are quite similar, as are the means by which they achieve them. As Claire continues to increase her political presence, she and Frank begin to fight with each other. A couple that once thrived on their ability to work together, falls apart at the end of the third season, when Claire leaves Frank to pursue her own path to higher power.

The concept of Claire being able to directly challenge her husband for power does symbolize gender equality, however it is unjust to identify her as a feminist due to her selfish nature. Frank is not described as a role model for men, and therefore Claire should not be described as such for women.

Most people would never believe that there could be such a fine line between revolutionary, and ordinary. Claire Underwood is an ordinary politician, protected by a revolutionary ideology. On the surface she appears to represent the virtues that decades of feminist movements put forward, and as a result becomes a more likeable character than her husband. Her cynical ambitions are justified because viewers feel that she is striving to achieve higher power for females as a whole. On the contrary, she is striving to achieve power for herself and herself only. Perhaps the very fact that a woman in politics could be represented as strongly as Claire is proves that gender equality is on the rise. In contrast, the critical views discussed before are far from equal.

The one thing that is equal in “House of Cards” is the universal desire that each political character has to better themselves, and their lack of concern for the people they may harm in the process. Frank and Claire fed off each other’s ruthless personalities. As they became more and more successful, each of them became hungrier for more control. As result, they began to compete with each other. Claire Underwood does not symbolize female empowerment, but rather the inherent nature of American politicians to become self-centered, and narcissistic.